ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Carboxylic acids and derivatives > Carboxylic acid esters and derivatives > Isopropyl palmitate
Isopropyl palmitate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:11-13 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:160°C 2mm
- Density 0.852 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:>230 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility <0.001g/l
- form neat
- Water Solubility Not miscible or difficult to mix with water.
- BRN 1786567
- CAS DataBase Reference142-91-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceIsopropyl palmitate(142-91-6)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemIsopropyl palmitate (142-91-6)
Isopropyl palmitate Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesClear colorless liquid
- Chemical PropertiesIsopropyl palmitate is a clear, colorless to pale yellow-colored, practically odorless viscous liquid that solidifies at less than 16°C.
- UsesPharmaceutic aid (vehicle, oleaginous).
- Usesisopropyl palmitate is an emollient and moisturizer, it also acts as a binder and solvent. Similar to isopropyl myristate, it is produced from the combination of palmitic acid (coconut or palm oil) and isopropyl alcohol. enzymes are able to metabolize this ingredient and studies do not show allergic reactions or toxicity. Some sources indicate comedogenicity potential.
- DefinitionChEBI: A fatty acid ester obtained by the formal condensation of carboxy group of palmitic acid with propan-2-ol. Metabolite observed in cancer metabolism.
- Production MethodsIsopropyl palmitate is prepared by the reaction of palmitic acid with propan-2-ol in the presence of an acid catalyst. A high-purity material is also commercially available, which is produced by enzymatic esterification at low temperatures.
- Pharmaceutical ApplicationsIsopropyl palmitate is a nongreasy emollient with good spreading
characteristics, used in topical pharmaceutical formulations and
cosmetics such as: bath oils; creams; lotions; make-up; hair care
products; deodorants; lip products; suntan preparations; and
Isopropyl palmitate is an established penetration enhancer for transdermal systems. It has also been used in controlled-release percutaneous films. Table I: Uses of isopropyl palmitate
- SafetyIsopropyl palmitate is widely used in cosmetics and topical
pharmaceutical formulations, and is generally regarded as a
relatively nontoxic and nonirritant material.
LD50 (mouse, IP): 0.1 g/kg
- storageIsopropyl palmitate is resistant to oxidation and hydrolysis, and does not become rancid. It should be stored in a well-closed container, above 16°C, and protected from light.
- Regulatory StatusIncluded in the FDA Inactive Ingredients Database (topical and transdermal preparations). Used in nonparenteral medicines licensed in the UK. Included in the Canadian List of Acceptable Non-medicinal Ingredients.
Isopropyl palmitate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- 1,2-DIHEXADECANOYL-RAC-GLYCERO-3-PHOSPHO[DIMETHYLAMINOETHANOL] DIMETHYL-DL-2,3-DISTEAROYL-OXYPROPYL-2'-HYDROXY-ETHYLAMMONIUM ACETATE 1,2-DIPALMITOYL-SN-GLYCERO-3-PHOSPHATE CHOLESTERYL STEARATE isopropyl 16-methylheptadecanoate Isopropyl palmitate ISOPROPYL CINNAMATE Cholesteryl palmitate Ascorbyl Palmitate Isopropyl acetate Isopropyl chloroformate Isopropyl myristate Isopropyl acetoacetate Palmitate Palmitic acid Diisopropyl azodicarboxylate Titanium tetraisopropanolate ISOPROPYL LAURATE
- Company Name:Hubei Jianwen Biomedical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18971192297 027-87887055-
- Company Name:Shanghai Boyle Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Tel:Mr Qiu:021-50182298(Demestic market) Miss Xu：021-50180596（Abroad market）
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:future industrial shanghai co., ltd