ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Circulatory system drugs > Peripheral vasodilators > CYCLANDELATE
CYCLANDELATE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:55.0-56.5°
- Boiling point:bp14 192-194°
- Density 1.0535 (rough estimate)
- refractive index 1.5490 (estimate)
- Merck 14,2704
- EPA Substance Registry SystemBenzeneacetic acid, .alpha.-hydroxy-, 3,3,5-trimethylcyclohexyl ester (456-59-7)
- RTECS OO8200000
- HS Code 2918191350
- ToxicityLD50 oral in rat: 5gm/kg
CYCLANDELATE Usage And Synthesis
- DefinitionChEBI: The ester obtained by formal condensation of mandelic acid and 3,3,5-tricyclohexanol. It is a direct-acting smooth muscle relaxant used to dilate blood vessels.
- Manufacturing Process50 g of dl-mandelic acid are heated for 6 hours at approximately 100°C with 50 g of 3,3,5-trimethylcyclohexanol (mixture of cis and trans isomers), while passing dry hydrochloric acid gas as a catalyst through the mixture. The reaction product is subsequently poured out into water. After neutralization with potassium bicarbonate the ester is extracted with ether. The ether extract is dried with sodium sulfate, the ether is distilled off and the residue is distilled in vacuo. The fraction, which has a boiling point of 192° to 194°C at 14 mm, consists of the 3,3,5-trimethylcyclohexyl ester of mandelic acid, which is obtained in a yield of about 70%. The liquid solidifies to a colorless solid substance having a melting point of 50° to 53°C, according to US Patent 2,707,193. It has been found that crude cyclandelate may be purified by the following procedure. Crude cyclandelate is dissolved in a solvent chosen for convenience from the class of saturated hydrocarbons. The crude cyclandelate solution is stirred for a suitable interval, typically 1 to 5 hours, with an aqueous solution of sodium borohydride (NaBH4) at temperatures ranging from 25° to 65°C. The preferred temperature range is 40° to 50°C. The pH of the solution may be adjusted to any desired level in the range between 2.5 to 11.5. The preferred pH range is 8.0 to 11.0 because at lower pH levels borohydride is unstable and decomposes rapidly. The amount of sodium borohydride used ranges from about 0.5 to 2.0 wt % of the amount of cyclandelate present. At the end of the stirring period cyclandelate is recovered by well-known procedures. For instance, the aqueous organic layers may be separated gravimetrically and the product organic layer washed with an appropriate solvent and then distilled, according to US Patent 3,663,597.
- brand nameCyclospasmol (Wyeth-Ayerst).
- Therapeutic FunctionSpasmolytic
- World Health Organization (WHO)Cyclandelate is a papaverine type spasmolytic and vasodilating drug intended for symptomatic treatment of various peripheral vascular disorders, such as intermittent claudication in arteriosclerosis obliterans as well as a treatment for cognitive dysfunction in patients suffering from senile dementia of the multi-infarct or Alzheimer's type. Cyclandelate remains registered in several countries.
- CYCLANDELATE Micinicate Ciclactate ANTHER 3,5,5-trimethylhexyl formate Isopentyl phenylacetate ACETIC ACID CIS-3,3,5-TRIMETHYLCYCLOHEXYL ESTER AMYL LACTATE Isononyl acetate N-BUTYL MANDELATE LACTIC ACID ISOAMYL ESTER ETHYL MANDELATE FEMA 3457 Methyl DL-mandelate Butyl lactate CYCLOHEXYL-PHENYLACETATE PHENAFLEUR DL-MANDELIC ACID ISOAMYL ESTER
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-
- Company Name:LGM Pharma
- Company Name:XiaoGan ShenYuan ChemPharm co,ltd
- Tel:15527768850 0712-2580635-