ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal salts > Zinc chromate
Zinc chromate Chemical Properties
Zinc chromate Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionZinc Chromate is a zinc salt of chromate. As a corrosion inhibitor, it is used industrially in chromate conversion coatings, which was developed by the Ford Motor Company in the 1920s. Its major application is used as a coating over iron or aluminum materials in industrial painting with corrosion resistance. It is also used in spray paints, artists'paints, pigments in varnishes, metal surface treatment and in making linoleum. Its putty form can be used as sealant in addition to two O-rings between sections of the failed solid rocket booster on Space Shuttle Challenger. However, it was concerned that it is a potential carcinogen, which can induce chromosome instability and DNA double-strand breaks.
- UsesZinc chromate is also called zinc yellow, this pigment is identified as Pigment Yellow 36, as opposed to the lithopone version incorpo- rating barium sulfate which is Pigment Yellow 36:1. It is a bright, green shade of yellow made by the precipitation of hydrated zinc potassium chromate from the reaction of so- dium bichromate with zinc oxide and potassium chloride. The lithopone version is merely a co-precipitate of zinc chromate onto barium sulfate to give an extended pigment that carries the Colour Index name of Pigment Yellow 36:1.
Used primarily in corrosion-inhibiting coatings, its poor tinctorial strength and poor resistance to acid and alkali severely limits this pigment's use elsewhere.
- Tencer, Michal (30 September 2006). "Electrical conductivity of chromate conversion coating on electrodeposited zinc". Applied Surface Science. 252 (23): 8229–8234.
- J.A. Hickman (1997). Polymeric Seals and Sealing Technology. iSmithers Rapra Publishing. p. 25. ISBN 978-1-85957-096-8. Retrieved 24 March 2011.
- Xie, Hong, et al. "Zinc Chromate Induces Chromosome Instability and DNA Double Strand Breaks in Human Lung Cells." Toxicology & Applied Pharmacology 234.3(2009):293-9.
- Chemical PropertiesZinc chromate is a yellow crystalline powder.
- UsesZinc yellow has the composition 4ZnCrO4 ? K2O ? H2O. Two other yellow chromate pigments are strontium chromate and barium chromate, both used as corrosion inhibitors.
- General DescriptionOdorless yellow solid. Sinks in water.
- Reactivity ProfileOxidizing agents, such as ZINC CHROMATE, can react with reducing agents to generate heat and products that may be gaseous (causing pressurization of closed containers). The products may themselves be capable of further reactions (such as combustion in the air). The chemical reduction of materials in this group can be rapid or even explosive, but often requires initiation (heat, spark, catalyst, addition of a solvent). Explosive mixtures of inorganic oxidizing agents with reducing agents often persist unchanged for long periods if initiation is prevented. Such systems are typically mixtures of solids, but may involve any combination of physical states. Some inorganic oxidizing agents are salts of metals that are soluble in water; dissolution dilutes but does not nullify the oxidizing power of such materials. Organic compounds, in general, have some reducing power and can in principle react with compounds in this class. Actual reactivity varies greatly with the identity of the organic compound. Inorganic oxidizing agents can react violently with active metals, cyanides, esters, and thiocyanates.
- Health HazardInhalation of dust causes irritation of nose and throat. Ingestion can cause irritation or corrosion of the alimentary tract, circulatory collapse, and toxic nephritis. Contact with eyes or skin causes irritation.
- Safety ProfileConfirmed human carcinogen producing lung tumors. A poison via intravenous route. Human mutation data reported. See also CHROMIUM COMPOUNDS and ZINC COMPOUNDS.
- Potential ExposureZinc chromate is used as an anticorrosion pigment in primers and as a coloring agent; as a pigment in surface coatings and linoleum; to impart corrosion resistance to epoxy laminates.
- ShippingUN3288 Toxic solids, inorganic, n.o.s., Hazard Class: 6.1; Labels: 6.1-Poisonous materials, Technical Name Required. UN3077 Environmentally hazardous substances, solid, n.o.s., Hazard class: 9; Labels: 9-Miscellaneous hazardous material, Technical Name Required.
- IncompatibilitiesAn oxidizer; reacts with reducing agents; combustibles, organic materials.
Zinc chromate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Zinc Chromate ZTO,Zinc chromate hydroxide (Zn5(CrO4)(OH)8) Zinc chromate Chromic acid Zinc chromate(VI)hydroxide monohydrate Potassium zinc chromate ZINC DICHROMATE epoxy polyamide zion yellow primer Copper-zinc chromate complex Zinc chromate (basic) Zinc yellow,iron oxide red perchlorovinyl primer G06-4 Zinc oxide yellow phenolic antirust paint F53-34 Zinc yellow alkyd antirust paint C53-33 Zinc yellow,iron oxide red,grey phenolic primer F06-8 Zinc yellow alkyd primer C06-17 Zinc yellow,iron oxide red alkyd primer 3130 S06-1 zinc yellow polyurethane primer zinc chromate oxide Copper Zinc Chromate
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:Dr. J. Pharmachem (India)
- Tel:+91 20 24332987
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-
- Company Name:BEST-REAGENT
- Tel:18981987031 400-1166-196
- Company Name:Tianjin heowns Biochemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400 638 7771