ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Carbides and carbonates > Zinc carbonate
Zinc carbonate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:decomposes [KIR84]
- Density 4,398 g/cm3
- form Solid
- color White
- Water Solubility mol/L solution H2O: 1.64×10?4 (solubility is given at Pco2=0.00032 bar) [KRU93]; soluble dilute acids, alkalies, NH3 solutions [MER06]
- Solubility Product Constant (Ksp)pKsp: 9.94
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with acids.
- CAS DataBase Reference3486-35-9(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemZinc carbonate (3486-35-9)
- Hazardous Substances Data3486-35-9(Hazardous Substances Data)
Zinc carbonate Usage And Synthesis
- Physical PropertiesWhite crystalline solid; orthorhombic structure; refractive index 1.818; Mohs hardness 4.3; decomposes at 300°C forming zinc oxide; practically insoluble in water, 10 mg/L at 15°C; soluble in acids, alkalis, and ammonium salt solutions.
- Occurrence and UsesZinc carbonate occurs in nature as mineral smithsonite and zincspar. The compound is used in ceramics and fire proofing filler for rubber and plastics.Also, it is used in lotions, ointments, cosmetics, and as a topical antiseptic.
- ProductionZinc carbonate is derived from its mineral smithsonite. Also, the compound may be prepared by the reaction of sodium bicarbonate with a soluble zinc salt:
ZnCl2 + NaHCO3 → ZnCO3 + NaCl + HCl
- Chemical PropertiesWhite, crystalline powder. Evolves carbon dioxide at 300C. Soluble in acids, alkalies, and ammonium salt solutions; insoluble in water.
- Chemical PropertiesSmithsonite is zinc carbonate, ZnCO3, a hexagonal mineral with a rhombohedral cleavage. It is a brittle mineral; hardness, 4–4.5; specific gravity, 4.3–4.5; luster, vitreous to dull; color, usually white, but may be colored yellowish or brownish or perhaps blue or green due to impurities. It is translucent to opaque.
- UsesAntiseptic (topical); astringent.
- General DescriptionA white crystalline solid or powder that is insoluble in water. The primary hazard is the threat posed to the environment. Immediate steps should be taken to limit its spread to the environment. Used in pharmaceuticals, to make other zinc compounds, as a feed additive.
- Reactivity ProfileZinc carbonate reacts with acids to generate carbon dioxide and a zinc-containing solution. Dissolves in bases and in solutions of ammonium salts.
- Health HazardINHALATION OF DUST OR FUMES: Dry throat, cough and chest discomfort. Fever and sweating. SKIN: Astringent. INGESTION: May cause nausea and vomiting.
- Fire HazardBehavior in Fire: Could decompose to liberate CO 2
- Safety ProfileAn experimental teratogen. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of CO and Zn.
Zinc carbonate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Zinc carbonate basic ZINC CARBONATE HYDROXIDE ZINC CARBONATE BASIC,ZINC CARBONATE HYDROXIDE POWDER (53% ZN MIN.) Zinc catbonate basic tetrahydrate ZINC CARBONATE FGQ Aluminum magnesium zinc carbonate hydroxide SMITHSONITE EXTRACT CALAMINE ZINC CARBONATE BASIC EXTRA PURE Zinc oxide ZINC OXIDE HYDRATE Zinc carbonate Sodium carbonate Zinc carbonate hydroxide POLY(BISPHENOL A CARBONATE) DMC ZINC Calcium carbonate
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Beijing Ouhe Technology Co., Ltd
- Tel:13552068683 010-82967028-
- Company Name:Spectrum Chemical Manufacturing Corp.
- Company Name:Chengdu Ai Keda Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:4008-755-333 028-85911938-