Vinyl ether Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-101.1°C
- Boiling point:bp 28.4°
- Density d2020 0.774; d420 0.773
- refractive index nD20 1.3989
- Water Solubility 5.25g/L(37 ºC)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemEthene, 1,1'-oxybis- (109-93-3)
- RIDADR 1167
- HazardClass 3.1
- PackingGroup I
- ToxicityLC50 (3 hr in air) in mice, rats (mg/l): 146.8, 386.5 (Molitor)
Vinyl ether Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesClear, colorless liquid with a characteristicodor; boils at 28.5°C (83°F); density 0.774[at 20°C (68°F)]; soluble in most organicsolvents, slightly soluble in water [0.53 g/dLat 37°C (98°F)].
- UsesCopolymer with 3–5% polyvinyl chloride for plastic products such as clear plastic bottles; medicine (anesthetic, for brief operations only).
- UsesVinyl ether is used as an anesthetic and inorganic synthesis.
- General DescriptionA clear colorless liquid with a characteristic odor. Flash point below -22°F. Less dense than water. Autoignition temperature 680°F. Slightly soluble in water; miscible with alcohol, acetone, chloroform, and ether. Must be protected from light.Vapors heavier than air. Toxic by inhalation.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Slightly soluble in water. Oxidizes readily in air to form unstable peroxides that may explode spontaneously [Bretherick, 1979 p.151-154, 164].
- Reactivity ProfileEthers, such as DIVINYL ETHER, can act as bases. They form salts with strong acids and addition complexes with Lewis acids. The complex between diethyl ether and boron trifluoride is an example. Ethers may react violently with strong oxidizing agents. In other reactions, which typically involve the breaking of the carbon-oxygen bond, ethers are relatively inert. Vinyl ether is miscible with alcohol, acetone, chloroform and ether and must be protected from light [Hawley].
- Health HazardInhalation or contact with material may irritate or burn skin and eyes. Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution.
- Health HazardVinyl ether exhibits low inhalation toxicity.Like ethyl ether, inhalation of its vapors pro duces an anesthetic effect. At concentrationsabove 5% (by volume in air), it can causeunconsciousness in humans. Exposure to a5.1% concentration of its vapor (in air) waslethal to mice.
Divinyl ether exhibited mutagenicity inmicrosomal assay and microbial mutationtests. There is no report on its carcinogenicityin animals or humans.
- Fire HazardHighly flammable; flash point (closed cup) <
-30°C (<-22°F); vapor density 2.4 (air =
1); the vapor is heavier than air and can travel
a considerable distance to a source of igni tion and flash back; autoignition temperature
360°C (680°F); can be ignited by lightning
or static electricity; fire-extinguishing agent:
dry chemical, foam, or CO2; use a water
spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool
and to disperse the vapors
Vinyl ether forms explosive mixtures with air, with LEL and UEL values of 1.7% and 27% by volume of air, respectively. It forms unstable peroxides on long standing or in the presence of oxygen. These peroxides can explode spontaneously or when heated. It decomposes to acetaldehyde (toxic and highly flammable) when exposed to light.
- Safety ProfileMildly toxic by inhalation. Mutation data reported. Prolonged exposure causes liver injury. A very dangerous fire hazard when exposed to heat or flame; can react vigorously with oxidizing materials. A severe explosion hazard in the form of vapor when exposed to heat or flame. Forms peroxides when exposed to air or oxygen. Hypergolic reaction with concentrated nitric acid. To fight fire, use CO2, dry chemical. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. Used as an inhalation anesthetic. See also ETHERS.
- storageVinyl ether is stored in a flammable-liquidsstorage room or cabinet separated from oxidizing and combustible materials. It shouldbe protected from physical damage andfrom static electricity or lightning. It isshipped in amber glass bottles or metaldrums.
- Waste DisposalVinyl ether is mixed with an excess ofhigher-boiling solvent and burned in a chem ical incinerator equipped with an afterburnerand scrubber. Small amounts, free of peroxides, can be evaporated in a fume hood awayfrom a source of ignition.
Vinyl ether Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Chelidonic acid monohydrate 2-AMINOMETHYL-5-HYDROXY-PYRAN-4-ONE 4H-PYRAN-4-ONE 2-AMINO-4-(4-METHOXYPHENYL)-5-OXO-5,6,7,8-TETRAHYDRO-4H-CHROMENE-3-CARBONITRILE 2,6-Dimethyl-4H-pyran-4-one Ethyl maltol Maltol isobutyrate 2-amino-5-oxo-4-phenyl-5,6,7,8-tetrahydro-4H-chromene-3-carbonitrile 2-AMINO-5-OXO-4-(2-THIENYL)-4,6,7,8-TETRAHYDRO2H-CHROMENE-3-CARBONITRILE 4-(DICYANOMETHYLENE)-2-METHYL-6-(4-DIMETHYLAMINOSTYRYL)-4H-PYRAN KHELLINQUINONE 3-HYDROXY-6-(HYDROXYMETHYL)-2-(MORPHOLINOMETHYL)-4H-PYRAN-4-ONE 2-AMINO-4-(4-METHYLPHENYL)-5-OXO-5,6,7,8-TETRAHYDRO-4H-CHROMENE-3-CARBONITRILE (2-CHLOROMETHYL)-5-HYDROXY-4H-PYRAN-4-ONE Kojic acid COMANIC ACID Maltol propionate 3-Hydroxy-2-methyl-4H-pyran-4-one
- Company Name:Syntechem Co.,Ltd
- Tel:Please Email
- Company Name:JinJin Le Chemical Co., Ltd
- Company Name:Hubei Jusheng Technology Co.,Ltd.
- Company Name:Hubei xin bonus chemical co. LTD
- Company Name:career henan chemical co
- Tel:13203830695 0086-371-86658258