ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Silicide and silicates > ZIRCONIUM SILICATE
ZIRCONIUM SILICATE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:2550 °C
- Density 4,56 g/cm3
- refractive index 1.78-1.99
- form nanopowder
- color Yellow to orange
- Specific Gravity4.56
- Water Solubility Insoluble in water, acids, alkali and aqua regia.
- Hydrolytic Sensitivity1: no significant reaction with aqueous systems
- Merck 14,10181
- CAS DataBase Reference10101-52-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceZirconium silicate(10101-52-7)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemSilicic acid (H4SiO4), zirconium(4+) salt (1:1) (10101-52-7)
ZIRCONIUM SILICATE Usage And Synthesis
- Physical PropertiesColorless tetragonal crystals (when pure); presence of impurities forms various colors; density 4.56 g/cm3; hardness 7.5 Mohs; dissociates to ZrO2 and SiO2 above 1,540°C; melts at 2,550°C; insoluble in water, acids, aqua regia, and alkalies; inert in most chemicals.
- ProductionZirconium silicate occurs in nature as mineral zircon. Ore is mined from natural deposits and concentrated by various techniques (See Zirconium, Recovery). It is separated from sand by electrostatic and electromagnetic methods.
Also, the compound can be made by fusion of SiO2 and ZrO2 in an arc furnace, or by reacting a zirconium salt with sodium silicate in aqueous solution.
- Chemical Propertiesgrey powder
- Chemical PropertiesZirconium silicate is used as an additive to glass, in ceramic tiles, in ultrafiltration membranes, and as a dental abrasive.
- UsesZirconium silicate (ZrSiO4) is one form of the mineral whose crystals when polished are known as cubic zircons, which resemble diamond gemstones.
- UsesIn refractories, ceramics, glazes, cements, coatings for casting molds, polishing materials, gem stones, catalyst in alkyl and alkenyl hydrocarbon manufacture, in fritted glass filters, as stabilizer in silicone rubbers. In Europe in cosmetic creams and powders.
- DefinitionA naturally occurring silicateof zirconium, ZrSiO4, used as a gemstone.The colour depends in smallamounts of other metals and may bered, brown, yellow, or green. Redgem-quality zircon is sometimescalled jacinth; gem-quality zirconswith other colours are called jargoons.There is also a naturally occurringcolourless variety. Zircongems can be given other colours, ormade colourless, by heat treatment.The colourless varieties (either naturalor treated) are sometimes calledMatura diamonds (after Matura in SriLanka). The name ‘zircon’ is often erroneouslyapplied to a synthetic formof the oxide cubic zircona, which isused as a diamond substitute.
ZIRCONIUM SILICATE Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:BeiJing Hwrk Chemicals Limted
- Tel:010-57411838 010-57411839-
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009