ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Esters > Ethyl compound > ETHYL CROTONATE
ETHYL CROTONATE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:37.22°C (estimate)
- Boiling point:142-143 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.918 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 3.9 (vs air)
- refractive index n
- FEMA 3486 | ETHYL TRANS-2-BUTENOATE
- Flash point:36 °F
- storage temp. Flammables area
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless
- JECFA Number1806
- EPA Substance Registry System2-Butenoic acid, ethyl ester (10544-63-5)
ETHYL CROTONATE Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiesclear colorless liquid
- Chemical PropertiesEthyl crotonate has a powerful, sour, caramellic-fruity odor.
- OccurrenceReported found in Fragaria vesca. Also reported found in guava fruit, guava peel, pineapple, white wine, yellow passion fruit, fresh mango, naranjilla fruit, mussel, loganberry, apple, papaya, concord grape, strawberry, rum, cocoa, plum, kiwifruit and other natural sources.
- PreparationBy esterification of crotonic acid with ethyl alcohol in the presence of concentrated H2SO4.
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 10 ppm: rum, cognac and pungent with caramellic and fruity nuances.
- Synthesis Reference(s)Journal of the American Chemical Society, 112, p. 2716, 1990 DOI: 10.1021/ja00163a038
Synthetic Communications, 14, p. 701, 1984 DOI: 10.1080/00397918408059583
- General DescriptionA clear colorless liquid with a pungent odor. Flash point 36°F. Less dense than water and insoluble in water. Vapors heavier than air.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileETHYL CROTONATE is an ester. Esters react with acids to liberate heat along with alcohols and acids. Strong oxidizing acids may cause a vigorous reaction that is sufficiently exothermic to ignite the reaction products. Heat is also generated by the interaction of esters with caustic solutions. Flammable hydrogen is generated by mixing esters with alkali metals and hydrides.
- Health HazardMay cause toxic effects if inhaled or absorbed through skin. Inhalation or contact with material may irritate or burn skin and eyes. Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution.
- Fire HazardHIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames. Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Containers may explode when heated. Many liquids are lighter than water.
- Safety ProfileSlightly toxic by ingestion. Corrosive. An eye irritant and lachrymator. A flammable liquid. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
ETHYL CROTONATE Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation ProductsEthyl 4-bromocrotonate
- Methyl isodehydroacetate Monoethyl fumarate Ethyl 4-bromocrotonate Benzyl cinnamate CYTOCHALASIN A AFLATOXIN G1 Chlorogenic acid DIETHYL ETHYLIDENEMALONATE Diethyl isopropylidenemalonate DIETHYL DICYANOFUMARATE, 97 RESCINNAMINE Ethyl 4-nitrocinnamate Ethyl cinnamate ETHYL 2-CYANO-3-METHYLCROTONATE ALPHA-CYANOCINNAMIC ACID ETHYL ESTER 5-Carbethoxy-4,6-dimethyl-2-pyrone BUTOPYRONOXYL Ethyl 3,3-dimethylacrylate
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009
- Company Name:Beijing Ouhe Technology Co., Ltd
- Tel:13552068683 010-82967028-