ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Digestive system drugs > Appetite suppressants and other diet pills > FENFLURAMINE
FENFLURAMINE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:170°C
- Boiling point:bp12 108-112°
- Density 1.0950 (estimate)
- storage temp. ?20°C
- pkapKa 9.10 (Uncertain)
- CAS DataBase Reference458-24-2
FENFLURAMINE Usage And Synthesis
- DefinitionChEBI: A secondary amino compound that is 1-phenyl-propan-2-amine in which one of the meta-hydrogens is substituted by trifluoromethyl, and one of the hydrogens attached to the nitrogen is substituted by an ethyl group. It binds to the serotonin reu take pump, causing inhbition of serotonin uptake and release of serotonin. The resulting increased levels of serotonin lead to greater serotonin receptor activation which in turn lead to enhancement of serotoninergic transmission in the centres of feeding ehavior located in the hypothalamus. This suppresses the appetite for carbohydrates. Fenfluramine was used as the hydrochloride for treatment of diabetes and obesity. It was withdrawn worldwide after reports of heart valve disease and pulmonary hypertensio .
- Manufacturing Process38.5 parts of (trifluoromethyl-3'-phenyl)-1-oximino-2-propane in 550 parts of ethanol (with ammonia) was hydrogenated under pressure of hydrogen 90 kg with a catalyst nickel Reney (20 parts). After a completion of reaction to the reaction mixture was added 1000 parts of water and 300 parts of hydrochloric acid. The mixture was concentrated in vacuo and extracted with 450 parts of ether. To an aqueous phase was added the sodium carbonate and the mixture was extracted with 500 parts of ether. Organic phase was concentrated in vacuo to obtain 29 g of 1-(meta-trifluoromethyl-phenyl)-2-ethylaminopropane. B.P. 96°C at 17 mm.
- brand namePondimin (Robins).
- Therapeutic FunctionAnorexic
- World Health Organization (WHO)Fenfluramine, dexfenfluramine and phentermine were approved individually more than 20 years ago in the USA for single-drug, short-term treatment of obesity. The manufacturers of fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine have since voluntarily withdrawn both products from the market worldwide. Phentermine remains available.
FENFLURAMINE Preparation Products And Raw materials
- FENFLURAMINE-D10,100/MLINMETHANOL FENFLURAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE--DEA*SCHEDULE IV ITEM,fenfluramine hydrochloride*methanol solution,FENFLURAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE,(+/-)-FENFLURAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE,FENFLURAMINE HCL,(±)-Fenfluramine solution hydrochloride N-NITROSOFENFLURAMINE (R)-ALPHA-(3-TRIFLUOROMETHYL-BENZYL)-PROLINE-HCL R(-)-FENFLURAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE 2-(3-TRIFLUOROMETHYL-BENZYL)-PIPERAZINE N-(2-Chloroethyl)-alpha-methyl-m-trifluoromethylphenethylamine alpha-Methyl-N-(3-phenyl-2-propynyl)-m-trifluoromethylphenethylamine (+)-FENFLURAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE,(+)-fenfluramine hydrochloride--dea*schedule iv I,(s)-fenfluramin BENFLUOREX HYDROCHLORIDE FENFLURAMINE (S)-ALPHA-(3-TRIFLUOROMETHYL-BENZYL)-PROLINE-HCL N,N-Diethyl-alpha-methyl-m-trifluoromethylphenethylamine BOC-(R)-ALPHA-(3-TRIFLUOROMETHYL-BENZYL)-PROLINE R(-)-FENFLURAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE LESS ACT IVE ENANTIOME,l-fenfluramin BOC-(S)-ALPHA-(3-TRIFLUOROMETHYL-BENZYL)-PROLINE FENFLURAMINE-D10 1-(alpha-Methyl-m-trifluoromethylphenethylamino)acetylurea