ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Nitro compounds > 4-Nitroanisole
4-Nitroanisole Chemical Properties
- Melting point:51-53 °C
- Boiling point:260 °C
- Density 1.233 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- refractive index 1.5030 (estimate)
- Flash point:130 °C
- form Crystals
- color Green to brown
- Specific Gravity1.233
- Water Solubility 0.468 g/L (20 ºC)
- Merck 14,6584
- BRN 1865361
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong bases.
- CAS DataBase Reference100-17-4(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceBenzene, 1-methoxy-4-nitro-(100-17-4)
- EPA Substance Registry Systemp-Nitroanisole (100-17-4)
4-Nitroanisole Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiesbeige crystalline solid
- Useso-Isomer as dye intermediate; in organic syntheses.
- DefinitionChEBI: A member of the class of 4-nitroanisoles that is anisole in which one the hydrogen meta to the methoxy group is replaced by a nitro group.
- General DescriptionA light red or amber-colored liquid or crystals. Insoluble in water and denser than water. Contact may irritate skin, eyes and mucous membranes. May be toxic by ingestion, inhalation or skin absorption. Used to make other chemicals.
- Air & Water ReactionsInsoluble in water.
- Reactivity Profile4-Nitroanisole reacts explosively with (sodium hydroxide + zinc). 4-Nitroanisole reacts vigorously with hydrogen + catalyst (at 482° F and 25500 mm Hg).
- Health HazardHighly toxic, may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through skin. Contact with molten substance may cause severe burns to skin and eyes. Avoid any skin contact. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed. Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may be corrosive and/or toxic and cause pollution.
- Fire HazardCombustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily. Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may pollute waterways. Substance may be transported in a molten form.
- Safety ProfileA poison by ingestion. Mutation data reported. Can explode in presence of Ni. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of NOx. See also o-NITROANISOLE and NITRO COMPOUNDS OF AROMATIC HYDROCARBONS.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise it from pet ether or hexane and dry it in vacuo. [Beilstein 6 IV 1282.]
4-Nitroanisole Preparation Products And Raw materials
- 4-Nitroaniline Sodium 3-nitrobenzenesulphonate p-Nitrobenzoic acid Methoxy 4-Nitrobenzonitrile 4-Nitroanisole 4-Fluoronitrobenzene 2-NITROANISOLE 1,3-Dinitrobenzene 4-Methyl-3-nitroanisole Nitrobenzene 1-METHOXY-4-NITRONAPHTHALENE 3,4-Difluoronitrobenzene Butylated hydroxyanisole 4-NITROPHENYLACETYLENE 4-Nitrophenol 4-Nitrobenzaldehyde 3-Nitrobenzaldehyde