ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal Sulphides and sulphates > Chromic sulfate
Chromic sulfate Chemical Properties
- RIDADR UN 9100
- Hazardous Substances Data10101-53-8(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityMLD in frogs, mice, rabbits (mg/kg): 37, 246.8, 215 i.v. (Cavalli)
Chromic sulfate Usage And Synthesis
- Physical PropertiesReddish-brown hexagonal crystal; the pentadecahydrate is a dark green amorphous substance while the octadecahydrate is a violet cubic crystal; the densities are 3.10 g/cm3 (the anhydrous salt), 1.87 g/cm3 (pentadecahydrate), 1.709/cm3 (octadecahydrate); the anhydrous sulfate is insoluble in water and acids; the hydrate salts are soluble in water; the pentadecahydrate is insoluble in alcohol, but the octadecahydrate dissolves in alcohol.
- UsesChromium(III) sulfate is used as the electrolyte for obtaining pure chromium metal. It is used for chrome plating of other metals for protective and decorative purposes. Other important applications of this compound are as a mordant in the textile industry; in tanning leather; to dissolve gelatin; to impart green color to paints, varnishes, inks, and ceramic glazes; and as a catalyst.
- PreparationChromium(III) sulfate is prepared by treating chromium(III) hydroxide with sulfuric acid followed by crystallization:
2Cr(OH)3 + 3H2SO4 → Cr2(SO4)3 + 6H2O
- Chemical PropertiesAlso known as chromic sulfate,Cr2(S04)3, is a violet or red powder that is insoluble in water and acids.The basic form (reduction of sodium dichromate) is used in tanning. Other uses are chrome plating,chromium alloys,mordant,catalyst,green paints and varnishes,green ink,and ceramic glazes.
- Chemical PropertiesChromic sulfate is a peach colored solid or red to violet, odorless powder.
- UsesChrome plating, chromium alloys, mordant, catalyst, green paints and varnishes, green ink, ceramics (glazes). The basic form (reduction of sodium dichromate) is used in tanning.
- DefinitionChEBI: A compound of chromium and sulfate in which the ratio of chromium (in the +3 oxidation state) to sulfate is 2:3
- General DescriptionDark green to violet crystalline material. Used in paints and inks, ceramics, and in textile dyeing. I Chromic sulfate is noncombustible. The primary hazard of Chromic sulfate is the potential for environmental damage if released. Immediate steps should be taken to limit its spread to the environment.
- Air & Water ReactionsWater soluble.
- Reactivity ProfileChromic sulfate has weak oxidizing or reducing powers. Redox reactions can however still occur. The majority of compounds in this class are slightly soluble or insoluble in water. If soluble in water, then the solutions are usually neither strongly acidic nor strongly basic. These compounds are not water-reactive.
- Health HazardINHALATION: Corrosive action on mucous membranes. SKIN: May elicit an allergic reaction. Corrosive action on skin. Lesions confined to exposed parts.
- Fire HazardSpecial Hazards of Combustion Products: Decomposes to chromic acid when heated.
- Potential ExposureThis compound is used in green paints, inks, dyes, and ceramics
- ShippingUN3077 Environmentally hazardous substances, solid, n.o.s., Hazard class: 9; Labels: 9-Miscellaneous hazardous material, Technical Name Required
- IncompatibilitiesThis chemical has weak oxidizing and reducing properties. Keep away from strong oxidizers Chromic Sulfate 837 (perchlorates, peroxides, permanganates, chlorates, nitrates, chlorine, bromine, and fluorine). When heated this chemical decomposes to chromic acid.
- Waste DisposalReturn to supplier where possible. Where this is not practical, the material should be encapsulated and buried in a specially designated chemical landfill.
Chromic sulfate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- CHROMIUM(III) SULFATE HYDRATE Chromic nitrate CHROMIUM SULFATE, HYDROUS Chromic sulfate sulfate Dimethyl sulfate Chromium Ammonium sulfate Basic chromic sulfate Chromium(VI) oxide GOLD COAST SOLUTION NO 1 Sulfuric acid Magnesium sulfate heptahydrate Barium sulfate SULFURIC ACID-D2 Chromium potassium sulfate dodecahydrate Chromic acid Sodium sulfate
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Adamas Reagent, Ltd.
- Company Name:Shanghai Hanhong Scientific Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:021-54302127 021-54306202-
- Company Name:Spectrum Chemical Manufacturing Corp.
- Company Name:Dalian Meilun Biotech Co., Ltd.