ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Hydrocarbons and derivatives > Hydrocarbon halides > BROMOTRIFLUOROMETHANE
BROMOTRIFLUOROMETHANE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-168°C
- Boiling point:-58°C
- Density 1,58 g/cm3
- vapor pressure >760 at 20 °C (NIOSH, 1997)
- refractive index 1.2380
- solubility Soluble in chloroform (Weast, 1986) and many other solvents, particularly chlorinated hydrocarbons.
- form A gas
- color Colorless gas with an ether-like odor
- Water Solubility 0.03 wt % at 20 °C (NIOSH, 1997)
- Henry's Law Constant(atm?m3/mol): 0.500 at 25 °C (Hine and Mookerjee, 1975)
- Exposure limitsNIOSH REL: TWA 1,000 ppm (6,100 mg/m3), IDLH 40,000 ppm; OSHA PEL: TWA 1,000 ppm.
- CAS DataBase Reference75-63-8(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemHalon 1301 (75-63-8)
BROMOTRIFLUOROMETHANE Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesTrifluorobromomethane is a colorless gas with a slight ethereal odor. Shipped as a liquefied compressed gas.
- UsesUsed as fire extinguishing agent for oil, electrical equipment, organic solvent, natural gas and a variety of organics, especially for important military and civilian sites.
- General DescriptionA colorless, odorless gas at room conditions Shipped as a liquid confined under its own vapor pressure. Noncombustible. Nontoxic but can asphyxiate by the displacement of air. Contact with the unconfined liquid can cause frostbite by evaporative cooling. Exposure of the container to prolonged heat or fire can cause BROMOTRIFLUOROMETHANE to rupture violently and rocket.
- Air & Water ReactionsSlightly soluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileBROMOTRIFLUOROMETHANE may react with aluminum to produce substantial heat. Other halogenated hydrocarbons, such as fluorotrichloromethane, dichlorodifluoromethane, chlorodifluoromethane, tetrafluoromethane produce sufficient heat in this way to melt aluminum pieces. The vigor of the reaction appears to depend on the degree of fluorination and the vapor pressure [Chem. Eng. News 39(27):44 1961].
- Health HazardVapors may cause dizziness or asphyxiation without warning. Vapors from liquefied gas are initially heavier than air and spread along ground. Contact with gas or liquefied gas may cause burns, severe injury and/or frostbite. Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
- Fire HazardSome may burn but none ignite readily. Containers may explode when heated. Ruptured cylinders may rocket.
- Safety ProfileWildly toxic by inhalation. Incompatible with aluminum. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of Fand Br-. See also BROMIDES and FLUORIDES.
- Potential ExposureThis material is used as a fire extinguishing agent, a chemical intermediate, and as a refrigerant.
- ShippingUN1009 Bromotrifluoromethane or Refrigerant gas, R-13B, Hazard Class: 2.2; Labels: 2.2-Nonflammable gas. Cylinders must be transported in a secure upright position, in a well-ventilated truck. Protect cylinder and labels from physical damage. The owner of the compressed gas cylinder is the only entity allowed by federal law (49CFR) to transport and refill them. It is a violation of transportation regulations to refill compressed gas cylinders without the express written permission of the owner.
- Purification MethodsPurify the gas by passing it through a tube containing P2O5 on glass wool into a vacuum system where it is frozen out in a quartz tube and degassed by a cycles of freezing, evacuating and thawing. [Beilstein 1 III 83, 1 IV 73.]
- IncompatibilitiesKeep away from chemically active metals, such as calcium, powdered aluminum; zinc, magnesium. Attacks some plastics, rubber, and coatings.
- Waste DisposalReturn refillable compressed gas cylinders to supplier. Incineration, preferably after mixing with another combustible fuel. Care must be exercised to assure complete combustion to prevent the formation of phosgene. An acid scrubber is necessary to remove the halo acids produced.
- Company Name:AoboRui (Tianjin) Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Jia Xing Isenchem Co.,Ltd
- Company Name:Nanjing Vital Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Tel:Please Send Email QQ:18652950785
- Company Name:Shanghai Yolne Chemical Co., Ltd.