Glutaric acid Chemical Properties
- Melting point:95-98 °C (lit.)
- Boiling point:200 °C/20 mmHg (lit.)
- Density 1,429 g/cm3
- vapor pressure 0.022 hPa (18.5 °C)
- refractive index nD106 1.41878
- Flash point:200°C/20mm
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility water: soluble5mg/mL, clear to slightly hazy, colorless to faintly yellow
- pka4.31(at 25℃)
- form Crystalline Powder
- color Orange
- Water Solubility 430 g/L (20 ºC)
- Merck 14,4473
- BRN 1209725
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with bases, oxidizing agents, reducing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference110-94-1(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferencePentanedioic acid(110-94-1)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemPentanedioic acid (110-94-1)
Glutaric acid Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertieswhite or off-white crystals
- DefinitionChEBI: An alpha,omega-dicarboxylic acid that is a linear five-carbon dicarboxylic acid.
- Synthesis Reference(s)Journal of the American Chemical Society, 78, p. 2489, 1956 DOI: 10.1021/ja01592a042
Organic Syntheses, Coll. Vol. 1, p. 290, 1941
Synthetic Communications, 10, p. 205, 1980 DOI: 10.1080/00397918008064223
- General DescriptionColorless crystals or white solid.
- Air & Water ReactionsWater soluble.
- Reactivity Profile1,5-Pentanedioic acid is a carboxylic acid. Carboxylic acids donate hydrogen ions if a base is present to accept them. They react in this way with all bases, both organic (for example, the amines) and inorganic. Their reactions with bases, called "neutralizations", are accompanied by the evolution of substantial amounts of heat. Neutralization between an acid and a base produces water plus a salt. Carboxylic acids with six or fewer carbon atoms are freely or moderately soluble in water; those with more than six carbons are slightly soluble in water. Soluble carboxylic acid dissociate to an extent in water to yield hydrogen ions. The pH of solutions of carboxylic acids is therefore less than 7.0. Many insoluble carboxylic acids react rapidly with aqueous solutions containing a chemical base and dissolve as the neutralization generates a soluble salt. Carboxylic acids in aqueous solution and liquid or molten carboxylic acids can react with active metals to form gaseous hydrogen and a metal salt. Such reactions occur in principle for solid carboxylic acids as well, but are slow if the solid acid remains dry. Even "insoluble" carboxylic acids may absorb enough water from the air and dissolve sufficiently in 1,5-Pentanedioic acid to corrode or dissolve iron, steel, and aluminum parts and containers. Carboxylic acids, like other acids, react with cyanide salts to generate gaseous hydrogen cyanide. The reaction is slower for dry, solid carboxylic acids. Insoluble carboxylic acids react with solutions of cyanides to cause the release of gaseous hydrogen cyanide. Flammable and/or toxic gases and heat are generated by the reaction of carboxylic acids with diazo compounds, dithiocarbamates, isocyanates, mercaptans, nitrides, and sulfides. Carboxylic acids, especially in aqueous solution, also react with sulfites, nitrites, thiosulfates (to give H2S and SO3), dithionites (SO2), to generate flammable and/or toxic gases and heat. Their reaction with carbonates and bicarbonates generates a harmless gas (carbon dioxide) but still heat. Like other organic compounds, carboxylic acids can be oxidized by strong oxidizing agents and reduced by strong reducing agents. These reactions generate heat. A wide variety of products is possible. Like other acids, carboxylic acids may initiate polymerization reactions; like other acids, they often catalyze (increase the rate of) chemical reactions 1,5-Pentanedioic acid reacts with bases, oxidizing agents and reducing agents.
- Fire HazardFlash point data for 1,5-Pentanedioic acid are not available; however, 1,5-Pentanedioic acid is probably combustible.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise the acid from *benzene, CHCl3, distilled water or *benzene containing 10% (w/w) of diethyl ether. Dry it under vacuum. [Beilstein 2 IV 1934.]
Glutaric acid Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation ProductsBuspironeCinmethylinGlutaric anhydrideAzelaic acidLACCAIC ACIDBaclofen
- Raw materialsNitric acidAmmonium chloride POTASSIUM CYANIDECyclohexanoneParaffin waxAdipic acidCyclopentanonegamma-Butyrolactone1,3-PropanediolNITROGEN DIOXIDE2,3-DihydrofuranGlutaronitrileoxidized paraffin(wax)
- Diethyl glutarate MONO-METHYL GLUTARATE ETHYL HYDROGEN GLUTARATE Glutaric anhydride ethyl pentanimidate hydrochloride Glutarimide Glutacondianil hydrochloride 3-(cyanomethylene)glutaric acid dimethyl ester Dimethyl Glutarate (2S)-2-[5-[N-(2-Propenyl)-N-[[(3,4-dihydro-2-methyl-4-oxoquinazolin)-6-yl]methyl]amino]-2-thiazolylcarbonylamino]glutaric acid L-Tetrahydrofolic Acid D-(+)-Camphoric acid Isocitric acid trisodium salt H-GAMMA-GLU-GLU-OH 2-METHYLPROPANE TRICARBOXYLIC ACID 1,2,3,4-CYCLOPENTANETETRACARBOXYLIC ACID 2,4-DIMETHYLGLUTARIC ACID DL-2-METHYLGLUTAMIC ACID
- Company Name:Liaoyang Hengye Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:HBCChem, Inc. Gold
- Company Name:Shenzhen Vtolo Chemicals Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Yangzhou modier Electronic Materials Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:RISUN Technology Co., Ltd Gold