ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal Sulphides and sulphates > Cadmium sulfate
Cadmium sulfate Chemical Properties
Cadmium sulfate Usage And Synthesis
- UsesCadmium sulfate is an inorganic compound and often used in electroplating for electronic circuits. It is also used for biocatalytic etching of semiconductor cadmium sulfide nanoparticles for optical detection of analytes. In addition, Cadmium Sulfate was used to develop a DNA-based quantum dot sensor to detect ibuprofen.
- Chemical PropertiesCadmium sulfate is a white to colorless, odorless, crystalline substance.
- Chemical PropertiesCadmiumsulfate, CdS04, is an effiorescent crystalline solid that is soluble in water. It is used as an antiseptic,in the treatment of venereal diseases and rheumatism, and to detect the presence of hydrogen sulfide.
- Physical propertiesColorless orthogonal crystal; the hydrates have monoclinic crystal system; density 4.69 g/cm3 (density of mono-, and octahydrates is 3.79 and 3.08 g/cm3, respectively); melts at 1,000°C (octahydrate decomposes at 40°C); soluble in water, insoluble in ethanol.
- UsesCadmium sulfate (CdS), also called “orange cadmium,” is used to produce phosphors and fluorescent screens. It is also used as a pigment in inks and paints, to color ceramics glazes, in the manufacture of transistors in electronics, photovoltaic cells, and solar cells, and in fireworks.
- UsesApplied in the formation of novel two-dimensional Cd-SCN coordination solids with unusual and tailorable, checkerboard- or herringbone-patterned structures these structures are important steps toward technologically useful materials.1
- UsesIt is a catalyst in Marsh test fir arsenic; determination of hydrogen sulfide.
- PreparationCadmium sulfate is prepared by the reaction of cadmium metal or its oxide or hydroxide with dilute sulfuric acid:
CdO + H2SO4 → CdSO4+ H2
CdO + H2SO4 → CdSO4 + H2O
Cd(OH)2 + H2SO4 → CdSO4+ 2H2O.
- General DescriptionOdorless white solid. Sinks and mixes slowly with water.
- Air & Water ReactionsWater soluble.
- Reactivity ProfileCadmium sulfate acts as a weakly acidic inorganic salt, which is soluble in water. The resulting solutions contain moderate concentrations of hydrogen ions and have pH's of less than 7.0. They react as acids to neutralize bases. These neutralizations generate heat, but less or far less than is generated by neutralization of inorganic acids, inorganic oxoacids, and carboxylic acid. They usually do not react as either oxidizing agents or reducing agents but such behavior is not impossible. Many of these compounds catalyze organic reactions.
- HazardA confirmed carcinogen.
- Health HazardInhalation may cause dryness of throat, coughing, constriction in chest, and headache. Ingestion may cause salivation, vomiting, abdominal pains, or diarrhea. Contact with eyes causes irritation.
- Health HazardExposures to cadmium salts by absorption are most effi cient via the respiratory tract. The symptoms of health effects include, but are not limited to, irritation, headache, metallic taste, and/or cough. Severe exposures cause shortness of breath, chest pain, and fl u-like symptoms with weakness, fever, headache, chills, sweating, nausea and muscular pain, pulmonary edema, liver and kidney damage, and death. Prolonged exposures, even at relatively low concentrations, may result in kidney damage, anemia, pulmonary fi brosis, emphysema, perforation of the nasal septum, loss of smell, male reproductive effects, and an increased risk of cancer of the lung and of the prostate. Decrease in bone density, renal stones, and other evidence of disturbed calcium metabolism have been reported.
- Fire HazardSpecial Hazards of Combustion Products: Toxic cadmium oxide fume may form in fires.
- Safety ProfileConfirmed human carcinogen with experimental carcinogenic data. Poison by ingestion, subcutaneous, and intraperitoneal routes. Experimental teratogenic and reproductive effects. Mutation data reported. See also CADMIUM COMPOUNDS and SULFATES. When heated to decomposition it emits very toxic fumes of Cd and SOx.
- Potential ExposureIt is used in pigments, electroplating; as a fungicide; and in synthetic and analytical chemistry. Also used in fluorescent screens; as an electrolyte. Incompatibilities: Acts as a weak inorganic acid; neutralizes bases. Incompatible with oxidizers (chlorates, nitrates, peroxides, permanganates, perchlorates, chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc.); contact may cause fires or explosions. Keep away from alkaline materials, strong bases, strong acids, oxoacids, epoxides, sulfur, selenium, tellurium, zinc
- ShippingUN2570 Cadmium compounds, Hazard Class: 6.1; Labels: 6.1-Poisonous materials, Technical Name Required.
- PrecautionsCadmium compounds cause more health disorders to occupational workers and persons with pre-existing skin disorders, eye problems, blood disorders, prostate problems, or impaired liver, kidney, or respiratory function. These workers are more susceptible to the effects of cadmium salts. On contact with cadmium, exposed workers should wash the skin and eyes immediately with plenty of water
Cadmium sulfate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Hydrazine sulfate Cadmium nitrate Bismuth nitrate CADMIUM SULFATE,CADMIUM SULFATE, HYDRATED Cadmium sulfate, hydrate. CADMIUM SULFATE, 8/3-HYDRATE,CADMIUM SULFATE HYDRATE,CADMIUM SULFATE N-HYDRATE,CADMIUM SULFATE-WATER(3/8) Cadmium sulfate Sodium sulfate Barium sulfate Ammonium sulfate Magnesium sulfate heptahydrate Ammonium iron(III) sulfate Dimethyl sulfate Lithium sulfate CADMIUM POTASSIUM SULFATE GOLD COAST SOLUTION NO 1 CADMIUM sulfate
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-
- Company Name:JinYan Chemicals(ShangHai) Co.,Ltd.