ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Nervous system drugs > Antidepressants, Antimanics drugs > Sibutramine hydrochloride
Sibutramine hydrochloride Chemical Properties
- Melting point:190-200°C
- storage temp. Store at RT
- CAS DataBase Reference84485-00-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
Sibutramine hydrochloride Usage And Synthesis
- Weight loss pillsSibutramine hydrochloride is a weight loss drug, it is hydrochloride salt form of sibutramine , and the pharmacological effects are fully consistent with of sibutramine , but the stability and solubility are better than sibutramine.
Sibutramine hydrochloride is firstly used to treat depression, in their clinical application process , people find that the effect of weight loss is significantly stronger than the effect of the antidepressant . On one hand ,by inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin, which makes the body reduce hunger, it can suppress appetite and control caloric intake effectively ; on the other hand, by activating the adrenergic receptors, which increases adipose tissue consumption, it can increase metabolism and energy consumption;it has obvious weight loss effect, but it may cause endangering serious side effects such as high blood pressure, high heart rate, anorexia, insomnia, abnormal liver function.
The above information is edited by the chemicalbook of Tian Ye.
- PrecautionsSibutramine hydrochloride belongs to the serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, it has the dual role of inhibiting appetite and enhancing metabolism, it can be used for the treatment of obesity which diet and exercise can not control.
There are many taboos in clinical practice of sibutramine hydrochloride , for example, patients with severe hypertension or patients with severe liver and kidney dysfunction, or patients with angle-closure glaucoma and women after childbirth, should not use it . Because the physiological effects of 16 years old or younger minors have not yet been confirmed, use of it should be prohibited. Also doses should be strictly controlled by users, the recommended starting dose is 10 mg per day for adults, the maximum should not exceed 15 mg. If there is overdose, patients should go to hospital for treatment, there is no specific antidote, only symptomatic treatment can be taken in clinic.
- UsesIt is used as an antidepressant.
- OriginatorMeridia,Abbott Laboratories,USA
- UsesAnorexic; antidepressant.
- Manufacturing ProcessA solution of 4-chlorobenzyl cyanide and 1,3-dibromopropane in dry
dimethylsulfoxide was added dropwise under nitrogen to a stirred mixture of
sodium hydride dispersed in mineral oil and dimethylsulfoxide at a
temperature in the range 30° to 35°C. The mixture was stirred at room
temperature for 2 h and propan-2-ol and then water were added dropwise.
The mixture was filtered through a diatomaceous earth sold under the
Registered Trade Mark CELITE and the solid residue washed with ether. The
ether layer was separated, washed with water, dried and evaporated. 1-(4-
Chlorophenyl)-1-cyclobutanecarbonitrile was isolated by distillation.
1-(4-Chlorophenyl)-1-cyclobutanecarbonitrile (37.6 g) was added to a solution of potassium hydroxide (32.4 g) in diethyleneglycol (370 ml) and the mixture heated under reflux for three and a 0.5 h The reaction mixture was poured into an ice/water mixture and the resulting solution was washed with ether. The aqueous layer was added to a mixture of concentrated hydrochloric acid (100 ml) and ice and the resulting precipitate of 1-(4-chlorophenyl)-1- cyclobutanecarboxylic acid (melting point 86°-88°C) collected, washed with water and dried.
1-(4-Chlorophenyl)-1-cyclobutane carboxylic acid (10.5 g) was heated under reflux with thionyl chloride (20 ml) for 2.5 h. Excess thionyl chloride was evaporated off and the acid chloride of the above acid distilled (boiling point 82°-96°C /0.2 mm Hg). A solution of the acid chloride in dry tetrahydrofuran was added slowly to the product of the reaction of magnesium turnings and ethyl bromide in dry tetrahydrofuran. Water was added followed by 5 N hydrochloric acid with cooling. The reaction mixture was extracted with ether, washed with water, sodium bicarbonate solution, dried. The solvent was removed by evaporation and 1-isobutyl-1-(4-chlorophenyl)cyclobutane obtained by distillation. The 1-isobutyl-1-(4-chlorophenyl)cyclobutane, diethylene glycoldimethyl ether, water and concentrated hydrochloric acid were mixed and heated under reflux. The mixture was poured into water aqueous NaOH was added and the product extracted into ether. Evaporation gave a dark oil. A sample of this oil, water and formic acid were mixed and formaldehyde added. The mixture was heated under reflux and then concentrated hydrochloric acid and propan-2-ol were added. Evaporation to dryness gave N,N-dimethyl-1-[1-(4-chlorophenyl)cyclobutyl]isobutyl hydrochloride as a white solid.
- brand nameMeridia (Abbott).
- Therapeutic FunctionAntidepressant, Anorexic
- Biological Activity5-HT and noradrenalin re-uptake inhibitor (SNRI). Produces weight loss in rats via inhibition of food intake and increased energy expenditure. Antidepressant.
Sibutramine hydrochloride Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation ProductsSibutramine
- N-DI-DESMETHYL SIBUTRAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE DESMETHYL SIBUTRAMINE, HYDROCHLORIDE SALT N,N-Dimethylformamide tert-Butyl methyl ether Dimethyl phthalate Dimethyl sebacate ETHANE Dimethyl fumarate Dimethyl ether DMC tert-Butyldimethylsilyl chloride Chlorodimethylphenylsilane Dimethylamine hydrochloride Silicone oil (high temperature) Sibutramine hydrochloride methylphenyl silicone resin Sibutramine Topotecan hydrochloride