ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Hydrocarbons and derivatives > Cyclic hydrocarbons > CYCLODODECANE
Basic information Overview Uses Application Methods Treatment Considerations Health Effects Safety Related Supplier
CYCLODODECANE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:59-61°C
- Boiling point:111 °C / 17mmHg
- Density 0.790
- refractive index 1.4860 (estimate)
- Flash point:88℃
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference294-62-2(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemCyclododecane (294-62-2)
- Safety Statements 24/25
- RIDADR 1325
- RTECS GV2295000
- HazardClass 4.1
- PackingGroup III
- HS Code 29021990
CYCLODODECANE Usage And Synthesis
- OverviewCyclododecane (CDD) is an explosive cyclic alkane and is moderately inert since it is exclusively hydrogen and carbon compounds and is non-polar. The colorless, translucent compound has a wax-like consistency as well as good film-forming properties. At room temperature, cyclododecane is stable and is commonly sold in form of irregularly formed crystals.
The compound has a boiling point of 243oC and a melting point of 58-61oC. The most attractive property of cyclododecane is that it sublimes, thus eliminating additional chemical procedures that can remove it. Studies have revealed that cyclododecane can sublime at the rate of 0.03 mm per 24 hours. Nevertheless, sublimation of cyclododecane is dependent on many factors such as film density and thickness, atmospheric pressure and temperature, substrate porosity, and air exchange over the film’s surface.
- UsesCyclododecane is considered as a new product in the conservation industry that is utilized as a temporary fixative, consolidant, barrier layer, and masking material in numerous fields of specialization. As a consolidant, it protects fragile ceramics while moving; therefore, allowing packaging and handling without any damage. As a temporary adhesive, cyclododecane has also been used remove subsequent of an adhesive without causing any damage.
Its film-forming properties are one of the desirable working characteristics. The compound has been employed as a fixative for moisture-sensitive media on paper in the process of aqueous treatment. Due to its non-polar quality, cyclododecane can be used to protect materials that are solvent-sensitive during local solvent treatment.
At room temperature, cyclododecane has the ability form a typically rigid solid, therefore, it has been used to secure friable substrates or flaking paint during transportation or during cleaning in surrounding. Moreover, it has been used to isolate the surface of an object when making mold.
- Application Methods Cyclododecane can be applied as a solvent solution or a melt. There should be a consideration of the substrate when selecting an application methods. Cyclododecane is generally reapplied between treatments for works of art paper.
Cyclododecane melts at about 60oC and can applied with a wax-melting stylus, heated spatula, melting the compound, and spraying machine. A rheostat may be used to control the temperatures of the tools used to apply cyclododecane.
Brush application should not be used unless a solvent is added at lower melting point. Cyclododecane will solidify and form a film after cooling. On the other hand, an immediate transition in temperature will form a dense, homogeneous film.
Cyclododecane can be dissolved in aromatic and non-polar solvents and applied by syringe, brush, or aerosol-spray. However, it is almost impossible to produce uniform films and numerous applications are needed to build up the film. It is important to note that a film layer should be produced using a saturated solution. The concentration of solid will fluctuate with use of a heated stirring tool and the choice of solvent.
- Treatment ConsiderationsIt is important to evaluate the aims of the treatment and the stability of object. Also, sensitivity of object to hydrocarbon or to heat should be considered. Although CDD is comparatively transparent, areas that are normally covered with the compound have reduced clarity.
- Health EffectsContact of cyclododecane with the skin may cause rash or irritation while it can cause irritation and discomfort to the eye or a blurring vision. To avoid inhalation exposure through vapors, one should wear a respirator. Eye protection such as goggles and safety glasses is recommended to avoid contact through spraying or splashing of the material. In addition, gloves should always be used when handling cyclododecane solvents. As a volatile material, cyclododecane should be stored away from flames and sparks, which might ignite it. Moreover, it should not be mixed with strong oxidants.
- Chemical Propertieswhite solid
- Chemical PropertiesCyclooctane and cyclononane are flammable liquids, and cyclododecane a volatile, flammable solid.
- UsesCyclooctane and cyclononane are used as starting materials for organic synthesis. The major use of cyclododecane is as an intermediate for the production of chemicals used to make polyamides, polyesters, synthetic lubricating oils, and nylon 12; it is also used as a high-purity solvent. An emulsion of cyclododecane can be used to emulsify pesticides. It is also used as a mothproofing agent.
- Synthesis Reference(s)Tetrahedron Letters, 36, p. 3897, 1995 DOI: 10.1016/0040-4039(95)00593-2
CYCLODODECANE Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Cyclododecane-1-one dimethyl acetal CYCLOPENTADIENE-QUINONE (2:1)ADDUCT CYCLODODECANE HEXADECAHYDROPYRENE CYCLODODECANOL Baccatine III 2,12-DIBROMOCYCLODODECANONE 10-Deacetylbaccatin III CYCLODODECANE EPOXIDE,Cyclododecane epoxide isomers,CYCLODODECANE OXIDE 2-bromocyclododecanone N-METHYLCYCLODODECYLAMINE 1-METHYLIDENECYCLODODECANE HEXABROMOCYCLODOCECANE CYCLODODECANONE Ryanodine CYCLODODECYLAMINE Hexabromocyclododecane CYCLODODECYL ISOTHIOCYANATE
- Company Name:Jiangyin Victory Chemical Co., Ltd., Gold
- Tel:+86 0510-86023607
- Company Name:Shenzhen BST Science & Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801