CHLORDECONE HYDRATE Chemical Properties
- Exposure limitsCeiling: 0.001 mg/m3/15 min (NIOSH).
CHLORDECONE HYDRATE Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionKepone or chlordecone, decachloro- 5-oxo-pentacyclo-[5.3.0.02,6,03,9,04,8]-decane, is the 2-keto analog of mirex and is soluble in water to 4 g/L by hydration. The rat LD50s are 95, 140 (oral) and > 2000 (dermal) mg/kg. Chlordecone is a stomach poison used in baits for the control of cockroaches and ants and for the control of banana thrips. Because of bioaccumulation, its registrations were canceled in the United States in 1978.
- Chemical PropertiesCrystalline soliSoluble in acetic acid, alcohols, ketones, acetone; slightly soluble in water.
- UsesInsecticide, fungicide.
- HazardA carcinogen. Toxic by ingestion, inhalation, and skin absorption. Manufacture and use have been prohibited.
- Health HazardHighly toxic by oral, dermal, and possiblyother routes of exposure; toxic propertiessimilar to those of Mirex; however, more toxicthan the latter; symptoms include tremors,ataxia, hyperactivity, muscle spasms, and skinchanges; highly injurious to liver, kidney,and central nervous system; a teratogenicsubstance; caused testicular atrophy, sterility,low sperm count, and breast enlargementin experimental animals; sufficient evidenceof carcinogenicity in experimental animal;also, possibly carcinogenic to humans. (IARC1987).
LD50 oral (rat): 95 mg/kg
LD50 oral (rabbit): 65 mg/kg
LD50 skin (rabbit): 345 mg/kg.
- Company Name:Shanghai Hao Zhun Biological Technology Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:Dr. Ehrenstorfer GmbH
- Tel:(0821) 90 60 80
- Company Name:Crescent Chemical Co., Inc.
- Tel:631 348 0333