Styrene Butadiene Rubber
Styrene Butadiene Rubber Chemical Properties
- Density 1.04 g/mL at 25 °C
- refractive index 1.57
- solubility solvents with solubility parameters between 7.7 and 9.4: soluble
- form slab/chunk
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- IARC3 (Vol. 19, Sup 7) 1987
- EPA Substance Registry SystemStyrene 1,3-butadiene polymer (9003-55-8)
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS WL6478000
Styrene Butadiene Rubber Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionBy far the most widely used type of synthetic rubber, its consumption for all applications is four times that of polybutadiene, its nearest competitor, and 1.5 times that of all other elastomers combined. Its manufacture involves copolymerization of three parts butadiene with one part styrene. These materials are suspended in finely divided emulsion form in a large proportion of water, in the presence of a soap or detergent. Also present in small amounts are an initiator or catalyst which is usually a peroxide, and a chain-modifying agent such as dodecyl mercaptan.
- Chemical Propertiessolid or viscous liquid, depending upon the degree of polymerisation
- UsesMolded or extruded into toys, packaging, appliances, communication cassettes, dinnerware and serviceware.
- Production MethodsSBR is prepared mainly by emulsion and solution polymerization in a free-radical process with a mercaptan, such as dodecylmercaptan, which is used as a chain-transfer agent to control molecular weight. In the emulsion process, a soapstabilized water emulsion of styrene and butadiene is polymerized in continuous reactors to form SBR elastomer. “Cold” SBR is produced at a temperature of 5–10°C, and “hot” SBR at about 50°C . Solution SBR is typically made in hydrocarbon solution with an n-butyllithium initiator. The major differences between emulsion and solution styrene–butadiene are in the linearity and molecular-weight distribution of the polymer chains. In nonpolar solvents, the tendency is to produce block copolymer, but random copolymers are formed in polar solvents. SBR can be vulcanized similar to natural rubber but generally requires less sulfur and is more accelerated because of its lowunsaturation.
- HazardQuestionable carcinogen.
- Health HazardStyrene Butadiene Rubber is prepared in large quantities for tire treads and other, similar uses. The properties, molecular weight, and percentage of monomer can all be controlled in the polymerization process. Hazards of the SBR industry have been identified and related mostly to the monomers and additives. Contact dermatitis and leukemia have been associated with solvent and additive use but not with the actual polymer itself (Checkoway et al., 1984; Kilpikari, 1982). Epidemiological studies in the industry have not revealed a significant increase in disease or causes of death (Matanoski and Schwartz, 1987; Meinhardt et al., 1982). The hazards of the butadiene and styrene monomers were discussed previously.
- Safety ProfileAn eye irritant. Questionable carcinogen. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also POLYMERS, INSOLUBLE.
Styrene Butadiene Rubber Preparation Products And Raw materials
- DOWEX(R) SBR-C CHLORIDE FORM Dowex(R) SBR LCNG hydroxide form MTO-DOWEX SBR LC NG, OH FORM, 5KG MTO-DOWEX SBR LC NG, OH FORM, 100G DOWEX SBR LC NG, OH FORM, 1KG DOWEX 1X8 (SBR) 20-50 MESHPRACT. MTO-DOWEX SBR LC NG, OH FORM, 2.5KG 100 G DOWEX 1X8 (SBR) 20-50 MESHANALYTICAL GRADE MTO-DOWEX SBR LC NG, OH FORM, 1KG SBR of solution polymerization cold SBR SBR modified filling agent SBR SBR-P,SBR 100 G DOWEX 1X8 (SBR) 20-50 MESHPRACT. SBR latexes SBR modified asphalt thick waterproof paint Sbr1502
Styrene Butadiene RubberSupplierMore
- Company Name:Tianjin heowns Biochemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400 638 7771
- Company Name:Hangzhou Yuhao Chemical Technology Co., Ltd
- Company Name:Hubei Jusheng Technology Co.,Ltd
- Tel:18871490274 027-59599241-
- Company Name:Chizhou Kailong Import and Export Trade Co., Ltd.
- Tel:Please Email
- Company Name:Sigma-Aldrich
- Tel:800-8193336 021-61415566-