ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal halide and Halogen salt > Metal chlorides and salt > CHROMIUM (III) CHLORIDE
CHROMIUM (III) CHLORIDE
CHROMIUM (III) CHLORIDE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:1152 °C
- Boiling point:1300°C
- Density 2.87 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- form flakes
- color Violet
- Specific Gravity2.87
- Water Solubility Soluble in alcohol, water.
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,2222
- CAS DataBase Reference10025-73-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemChromium(III) chloride (10025-73-7)
CHROMIUM (III) CHLORIDE Usage And Synthesis
- Physical PropertiesReddish violet crystals; hexagonal plates; density 2.87g/cm3; melts at 1,152°C; decomposes at 1,300°C; slightly soluble in water. The color of hexahydrates range from light-green to violet; all are hygroscopic; density 1.76 g/cm3; soluble in water and ethanol; insoluble in ether; dilute aqueous solutions are violet in color.
- UsesChromium(III) chloride is used for chromium plating; as textile mordant; in tanning; as a waterproofing agent; and as catalyst for polymerization of olefins.
- PreparationChromium(III) chloride hexahydrate may be prepared by treating chromium hydroxide with hydrochloric acid: /> Cr(OH)3 + 3HCl + 3H2O → CrCl3•6H2O The anhydrous chromium(III) chloride may be obtained by heating the hydrated salt CrCl3•6H2O with SOCl2 and subliming the product in a stream of chlorine at 600°C. Alternatively, the red-violet anhydrous chloride can be obtained by passing chlorine gas over a mixture of chromic oxide and carbon:
Cr2O3 + 3C +3Cl2 → 2CrCl3 + 3CO
- ReactionsChromium(III) chloride at elevated termperatures decomposes to chromium( II) chloride and chlorine:
2CrCl3→2CrCl2 + Cl2
Heating with excess chlorine produces vapors of chromium(IV) chloride, CrCl4. The tetrahedral tetrachloride is unstable, and occurs only in vapor phase.
When heated with hydrogen, it is reduced to chromium(II) chloride with the formation of hydrogen chloride:
2CrCl3 + H2→2CrCl2 + 2HCl
Chromium(III) chloride has very low solubility in pure water. However, it readily dissolves in the presence of Cr2+ ion. Reducing agents such as SnCl2 can “solubilize” CrCl3 in water. It forms adducts with many donor ligands. For example, with tetrahydrofuran (THF) in the presence of zinc, it forms the violet crystals of the complex CrCl3•3THF.
- Chemical PropertiesChromic chloride is a highly corrosive, Blue or greenish to black crystalline solid.
- UsesSupplement(trace mineral).
- Air & Water ReactionsThe rate of solution for water is extremely slow, pH of 0.2 M. aqueous solution is 2.4.
- Reactivity ProfileWhen heated to decomposition, CHROMIUM (III) CHLORIDE emits toxic fumes of chlorine containing compounds. Violent reaction with lithium, nitrogen. Incompatible with strong oxidizers. [EPA, 1998].
- HazardA poison.
- Health HazardCHROMIUM (III) CHLORIDE displays high dermal toxicity, and moderate oral toxicity.
- Safety ProfilePoison by skin contact, inhalation, and intraperitoneal routes. Experimental teratogenic and reproductive effects. Human mutation data reported. Questionable carcinogen. Reacts violently with lithium under nitrogen atmosphere. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of Cl-.
- Potential ExposureChromic chloride is used for production of solutions of basic chlorides and as a catalyst for polymerization of olefins and other organic reactions; in chromizing; in the manufacture of chromium metal and compounds; as a textile mordant; in tanning; in corrosion inhibitors; and as a waterproofing agent. A nutritional supplement.
- ShippingUN1759 Corrosive solids, n.o.s., Hazard class: 8; Labels: 8-Corrosive material, Technical Name Required. UN1760 Corrosive liquids, n.o.s., Hazard class: 8; Labels: 8-Corrosive material, Technical Name Required.
- Purification MethodsSublime the chloride in a stream of dry HCl. Alternatively, the impure chromic chloride (100g) is added to 1L of 10% aqueous K2Cr2O7 and several millilitres of conc HCl, and the mixture is brought to a gentle boil with constant stirring for 10minutes. (This removed a reducing impurity.) The solid is separated and washed by boiling with successive 1L lots of distilled water until the wash water no longer gives a test for chloride ion, then dry it at 110o [Poulsen & Garner J Am Chem Soc 81 2615 1959, Hein & Herzog in Handbook of Preparative Inorganic Chemistry (Ed. Brauer) Academic Press Vol II p 1338 1965].
- IncompatibilitiesReacts with water and strong oxidizers. Contact with strong acids or acid fumes may produce highly toxic chloride fumes. May attack certain steels, causing pitting attack and stress corrosion
- Waste DisposalPrecipitate as chromium hydroxide. Dewater the sludge and dispose of the compacted sludge in single-purpose dumps
CHROMIUM (III) CHLORIDE Preparation Products And Raw materials
- (1R,2R)-(-)-[1,2-Cyclohexanediamino-N,N'-bis(3,5-di-tert-butylsalicylidene)]chromium(III)chloride,(1R,2R)-(-)-[1,2-CYCLOHEXANEDIAMINO-N N'-BIS(3,5-DI-T-BUTYLSALICYLIDENE)]CHROMIUM (III) CHLORIDE Chromium (III) chloride hydroxide CHROMIUM(II) CHLORIDE Chromium(Ⅲ) chloride dodecahydrate Chromyl chloride METHACRYLATO CHROMIC CHLORIDE QUILON(R) H CHROMIUM COMPLEX QUILON(R) S CHROMIUM COMPLEX 8,13-BIS(ETHYL)-3,7,12,17-TETRAMETHYL-21H, 23H-PORPHINE-2,18-DIPROPIONIC ACID CHROMIUM(III) CHLORIDE Water proof agent CR CHROMIUM(VI)CHLORIDE Tris(ethylenediamine)chromium(III) chloride hemiheptahydrate, min. 98%,TRIS(ETHYLENEDIAMINE)CHROMIUM (III) CHLORIDE HEMIHEPTAHYDRATE,TRIS(ETHYLENEDIAMINE)CHROMIUM(III) CHLORIDE HYDRATE,TRIS(ETHYLENEDIAMINE)CHROMIUM (III) CHLORIDE,TRIS(ETHYLENEDIAMINE)CHROMIUM (III) CHLORIDE HEMIHEPTAHYDRATE 98+% CHROMIUM (III) CHLORIDE (R)-N,N'-BIS(3,5-DI-TERT-BUTYLSALICYLIDENE)-1,2-CYCLOHEXANEDIAMINOCHROMIUM(III) CHLORIDE CHROMIUM(III) CHLORIDE,CHROMIUM(III) CHLORIDE HEXAHYDRATE,CHROMIUM(III) CHLORIDE-6-HYDRATE,Chromium(III) chloride hexahydrate, 99.998%,Chromium(III)chloride,hexahydrate(1:3:6 CHROMIUM TRICHLORIDE TETRAHYDROFURANATE (S,S)-N,N'-BIS(3,5-DI-TERT-BUTYLSALICYLIDENE)-1,2-CYCLOHEXANEDIAMINOCHROMIUM(III) CHLORIDE CHROMIUM(III) CHLORIDE HYDRATE 99.995%,chromium(iii) chloride hydrate
CHROMIUM (III) CHLORIDESupplierMore
- Company Name:Hebei Dj Yan Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-