ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal Sulphides and sulphates > Cadmium sulfide
Cadmium sulfide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:980°C (subl.)
- Boiling point:980°C (estimate)
- Density 4.82 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- Flash point:4℃
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility Soluble in acid, very slightly soluble in ammonium hydroxide.
- form powder
- color Yellow to orange
- Specific Gravity4.82
- Water Solubility Insoluble
- Crystal StructureCubic, Sphalerite Structure - Space Group F(-4)3m
- Merck 14,1628
- Solubility Product Constant (Ksp)pKsp: 26.1
- CAS DataBase Reference1306-23-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemCadmium sulfide (1306-23-6)
- Hazard Codes T,N,F
- Risk Statements 45-22-48/23/25-53-62-63-68-50/53-67-65-48/20/22-38-11
- Safety Statements 53-45-61-60-62-36/37-16
- RIDADR UN 3077 9/PG 3
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS EV3150000
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 6.1
- PackingGroup III
- Hazardous Substances Data1306-23-6(Hazardous Substances Data)
Cadmium sulfide Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiesyellow to orange crystalline powder
- Chemical PropertiesCadmium sulfide is an odorless, crystalline, lemon yellow to orange solid.
- Physical propertiesYellow to orange crystal; occurs as two polymorphs, hexagonal alpha form and cubic beta form; exhibits stable wurtzite structure at lower temperature, and zinc blende type structure at higher temperatures; the beta form converts to alpha form when heated at 750°C in sulfur atmosphere; sublimes at 980°C; practically insoluble in water (1.3 mg/L at 20°C); Ksp 3.6x10-29; dissolves in dilute mineral acids on heating or concentrated acids at ordinary temperatures (decomposes with liberation of H2S).
- OccurrenceCadmium sulfide occurs in nature as the mineral greenoktite. The compound is widely used in pigments for paints, baking enamels, ceramics and plastics. It imparts bright yellow to maroon, with strong retention of color and resistance to alkalis. It also is used in inks, phosphors, and fluorescent screens. Other applications of this compound are in photovoltaic and solar cells (for converting solar energy to electrical energy), photoconductors (in xerography), thin film transistors and diodes, rectifiers, scintillation counters, pyrotechnics, and smoke detectors.
- Usescadmium sulfide is used as a colorant for paints and rubber; cadmium acetate is used in the production of craftware.
- UsesUsed in the production of solar cells where it is used as a buffer layer in the manufacture of CIGS (Copper -Indium-Gallium-Selenide) solar cells
- UsesAs a pigment being fast to light and not affected by H2S; color for soaps; coloring glass yellow; coloring textiles, paper, rubber; in printing inks, ceramic glazes, fireworks; in phosphors and fluorescent screens; in scintillation counters, semiconductors, photoconductors.
- DefinitionA native cadmium sulfide containing 77.7% cadmium. Ore of cadmium
- DefinitionGreenockite: a mineral form ofcadmium sulphide, CdS.
- Production MethodsCadmium sulfide may be prepared by the reaction between hydrogen sulfide and cadmiumvapor at 800 Cor by heating a mixture of cadmium or cadmium oxide with sulfur.
- PreparationCadmium sulfide may be prepared by precipitation from an aqueous solution of its soluble salts such as cadmium chloride or cadmium nitrate by passing hydrogen sulfide. The reactions may be carried out in acidic, neutral or alkaline solutions using various cadmium salts to obtain different crystal modifications as shown in the table below.
Cadmium sulfide also may be obtained by treatment of sodium or other alkali metal sulfide solution with that of a soluble cadmium salt. The compound also may be prepared by heating a mixture of cadmium or its oxide with sulfur at 800°C; or by the reaction of H2S with cadmium vapor at 800°C.
- HazardA confirmed carcinogen, highly toxic. See cadmium.
- Safety ProfileConfirmed human carcinogen with experimental carcinogenic and tumorigenic data. Moderately toxic by ingestion and inhalation. Human mutation data reported. When heated to decomposition it emits very toxic fumes of Cd and SOx. See also CADMIUM COMPOUNDS and SULFIDES
- Potential ExposureUsed in pigments; as an active ingredient in dandruff shampoos; making photoconductors, solar cells, and other electronic components.
- ShippingUN2570 Cadmium compounds, Hazard Class: 6.1; Labels: 6.1-Poisonous materials, Technical Name Required.
- IncompatibilitiesContact with water or moisture releases poisonous hydrogen sulfide gas. Incompatible with oxidizers (chlorates, nitrates, peroxides, permanganates, perchlorates, chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc.); contact may cause
- Waste DisposalUse a licensed professional waste disposal service to dispose of this material. All federal, state, and local environmental regulations must be observed. Consult with environmental regulatory agencies for guidance on acceptable disposal practices. Generators of waste containing this contaminant (≥100 kg/mo) must conform to EPA regulations governing storage, transportation, treatment, and waste disposa
Cadmium sulfide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Lithium sulfide Cadmium sulfide (CdS), copper and lead-doped Cadmium sulfide (CdS), solid soln. with zinc sulfide, aluminum and silver-doped Cadmium selenide (CdSe), solid soln. with cadmium sulfide, zinc selenide and zinc sulfide, aluminum and copper-doped Cadmium sulfide (CdS), solid soln. with zinc sulfide, aluminum and copper-doped Cadmium sulfide (CdS), solid soln. with zinc sulfide, copper and nickel-doped Cadmium sulfide (CdS), solid soln. with zinc sulfide, copper and manganese-doped Cadmium selenide (CdSe), solid soln. with cadmium sulfide, zinc selenide and zinc sulfide, gold and manganese-doped Cadmium selenide (CdSe), solid soln. with cadmium sulfide ZINC CADMIUM SULFIDE,ZINC CADMIUM SULFIDE FLUORESCENT CADMIUM SULFOSELENIDE Cadmium sulfide Dimethyl sulfide CARBONYL SULFIDE Sodium sulfide Cadmium sulfide lithopone yellow CADMIUM SULFIDE POWDER Colors used in enamel and glass Cd-Yellow
- Company Name:ABCR GmbH & CO. KG Gold
- Tel:49 721 95061 0
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:Beijing dtftchem Technology Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-