MONOBEHENIN Chemical Properties
- solubility Soluble, when heated, in chloroform and dichloromethane and in many organic solvents; slightly soluble in hot ethanol (96%); practically insoluble in cold ethanol (95%), hexane, mineral oil, and water.
- EPA Substance Registry SystemDocosanoic acid, monoester with 1,2,3-propanetriol (30233-64-8)
MONOBEHENIN Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesGlyceryl behenate occurs as a fine white-yellow powder, as a hard waxy mass or pellet, or as white or almost white unctuous flakes. It has a faint odor.
- Production MethodsGlyceryl behenate is prepared by the esterification of glycerin by behenic acid (C22 fatty acid) without the use of catalysts. In the case of Compritol 888 ATO (Gattefosse′), raw materials used are of vegetable origin, and the esterified material is atomized by spraycooling.
- Pharmaceutical ApplicationsGlyceryl behenate is used in cosmetics, foods, and oral pharmaceutical
In pharmaceutical formulations, glyceryl behenate is mainly used as a lubricant in the preparation of oral tablets and capsules. It has good binding properties, it does not affect tablet hardness and is unaffected by mixing or production parameters. Glyceryl behenate has been investigated for the encapsulation of various drugs such as retinoids. It has also been investigated for use in the preparation of sustained-release tablets; as a matrix-forming agent for the controlled release of water-soluble drugs; and it can also be used as a hot-melt coating agent sprayed onto a powder or drug-loaded sugar beads and granules. It may also be incorporated via extrusion/spheronization into pellets, which can be further compressed into tablets.
Glyceryl behenate is used in oral enteric-coated pellets, powders and suspensions. It is also used in controlled, extended-release and orally disintegrating tablets. For oral preparations, glyceryl behenate forms a lipidic matrix for sustained-release formulations. It has been used along with acid-soluble or swellable polymers to mask the bitter or unpleasant taste of the medicament with improved palatability.
Glyceryl behenate has been used for the preparation of ophthalmic inserts.
In cosmetics, glyceryl behenate is used as a skin conditioning agent, emollient and viscosity-increasing agent in emulsions. It also improves the heat stability of emulsions and is a gelifying agent for various oils. For topical formulations, it is used as a thickening agent for oily phases. It is also used as a surfactant or emulsifying agent.
- SafetyGlyceryl behenate is used in cosmetics, foods and oral pharmaceutical
formulations, and is generally regarded as a relatively
nonirritant and nontoxic material. The US Cosmetic Ingredients
Review Expert Panel evaluated glyceryl behenate and concluded
that it is safe for use in cosmetic formulations in present practices of
use and concentration.
LD50 (mouse, oral): 5 g/kg
- storageGlyceryl behenate should be stored in a tightly closed container, at a temperature less than 35°C.
- Regulatory StatusGRAS listed. Accepted for use as a food additive in Europe. Included in the FDA Inactive Ingredients Database (oral capsules, tablets, and suspensions). Included in the Canadian List of Acceptable Non-medicinal Ingredients.
- TRIBEHENIN 1-Myristin-2-Olein-3-Behenin TRITRICOSANOIN TRILIGNOCERIN propane-1,2,3-triyl trioctacosanoate URSODEOXYCHOLIC ACID ACYL-B-D-GLUCURONIDE DILIGNOCERIN 1,3-Tetracosanoin-2-Olein 1,2-Behenin-3-Myristin SUCROSE BEHENATE 1,2-DIDOCOSANOYL-SN-GLYCERO-3-PHOSPHOCHOLINE 1,3-DIBEHENIN 6,6'-DIBEHENOYL-ALPHA,ALPHA'-TREHALOSE spongistatin 1 1,3-BEHENIN-2-OLEIN 1-OCTACOSANYL-2-(1-PYRENEHEXANOYL)-SN-GLYCERO-3-PHOSPHOMETHANOL, AMMONIUM SALT 1-Myristin-3-Behenin? 1,2-Olein-3-Behenin?
- Company Name:Wuhan Fortuna Chemical Co., Ltd
- Tel:13308628970 027-59207852-
- Company Name:Beijing HuaMeiHuLiBiological Chemical
- Company Name:Haoyuan Chemexpress Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:MedChemexpress LLC
- Company Name:Yichang Zhongyitai Trading Co., Ltd.
- Tel:13886658719 0717-6449896