ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Pharmaceutical intermediates > Heterocyclic compound > Thiophene compounds > Tetrahydrothiophene
Tetrahydrothiophene Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-96 °C
- Boiling point:119 °C(lit.)
- Density 1 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure 18 mm Hg ( 25 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:55 °F
- storage temp. Flammables area
- solubility immiscible
- form liquid
- Specific Gravity1.002 (20/4℃)
- PH7 (H2O, 20℃)
- Odor Threshold0.00062ppm
- explosive limit1.1-12.1%(V)
- Water Solubility immiscible
- Merck 14,9218
- BRN 102392
- Stability:Stability Highly flammable. Vapour-air mixtures explosive in some proportions; note low flash point and fairly wide explosion limit range. Heavier than air, so potentially explosive mixtures may travel considerable distances to source of ignition.
- CAS DataBase Reference110-01-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceThiophene, tetrahydro-(110-01-0)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemTetrahydrothiophene (110-01-0)
- Hazard Codes F,Xn
- Risk Statements 11-20/21/22-36/38-52/53
- Safety Statements 16-23-36/37-61
- RIDADR UN 2412 3/PG 2
- WGK Germany 2
- RTECS XN0370000
- Autoignition Temperature202 °C
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 3
- PackingGroup II
- HS Code 29349990
- Hazardous Substances Data110-01-0(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 by inhalation in mice: 26.7 mg/l (Carlucci)
Tetrahydrothiophene Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiescolourless liquid
- UsesNatural gas odorant.
- General DescriptionA water-white liquid. About the same density as water and insoluble in water. Flash point near 20°F. Vapors heavier than air. Used as a solvent and to make other chemicals.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileOrganosulfides, such as Tetrahydrothiophene, are incompatible with acids, diazo and azo compounds, halocarbons, isocyanates, aldehydes, alkali metals, nitrides, hydrides, and other strong reducing agents. Reactions with these materials generate heat and in many cases hydrogen gas. Many of these compounds may liberate hydrogen sulfide upon decomposition or reaction with an acid. Slow addition of hydrogen peroxide to the thiophene resulted in explosions on three occasions, Chem. Eng. News, 1974, 52(39), 3.
- Health HazardMay cause toxic effects if inhaled or absorbed through skin. Inhalation or contact with material may irritate or burn skin and eyes. Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution.
- Fire HazardHIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames. Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Containers may explode when heated. Many liquids are lighter than water.
- Safety ProfileMildly toxic by inhalation. Flammable liquid. Potentially explosive reaction with hydrogen peroxide. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of SOx.
- Purification MethodsThe crude material is purified by crystallisation of the mercuric chloride complex to a constant melting point. It is then regenerated, washed, dried, and fractionally distilled. [Whitehead et al. J Am Chem Soc 73 3632 1951.] It has been dried over Na2SO4 and distilled in a vacuum [Roberts & Friend J Am Chem Soc 108 7204 1986]. [Beilstein 17 I 5, 17 II 15, 17 III/IV 34, 17/1 V 36.]
Tetrahydrothiophene Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsTetrahydrofuran
- AKOS BBS-00005046 DL-Homocysteinethiolactone hydrochloride 3-METHYLAMINO-N-NITROSOSULFOLANE D-BIOTIN P-NITROPHENYL ESTER Tetrahydrothiophene-2-one AKOS BBS-00005153 3-SULFOLANYL ETHER 3-METHYLSULFOLANE Tetrahydrothiophene Sodium sulfide CYCLOBUTANE Thiophene POLYTHIOPHENE 2-Bromothiophene CARBONYL SULFIDE Tetrahydrothiophen-3-one 2,3,4,5-TETRAHYDROTHIOPHENE-1,1-DIOXIDE,tetrahydrothiophene-1,1-dioxide sulpholane,Tetrahydrothiophene 1,1-dioxide, Tetramethylene sulfone Dimethyl sulfide
- Company Name:Wuhan Permanent-Rich Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009