ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Esters > Methyl ester compound > Dimethyl terephthalate
Dimethyl terephthalate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:140 °C
- Boiling point:288 °C
- Density 1,29 g/cm3
- vapor density 1.04 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 1.15 mm Hg ( 93 °C)
- refractive index 1.4752
- Flash point:154 °C
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility water: slightly soluble0.0493g/L at 20°C
- form Flakes or Pellets
- color White
- explosive limit0.8-11.8%(V)
- Water Solubility It is slightly soluble in water but soluble in hot alcohol and ether.
- Merck 14,9162
- BRN 1107185
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong acids, strong bases, strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference120-61-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemDimethyl terephthalate (120-61-6)
Dimethyl terephthalate Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionDimethyl terephthalate (DMT) is an organic compound with the formula C6H4(CO2CH3)2. It is the diester formed from terephthalic acid and methanol. It is a white solid that melts to give a distillable colourless liquid.
- Chemical Propertieswhite chunks
- Chemical PropertiesThe empirical formula of dimethyl terephthalate (DMT) is C10H10O4. Its structural formula is 1,4-(COOCH3)2C6H4. At room temperature, exists as colorless crystals. DMT is soluble in ether and chloroform, slightly soluble in ethanol, and fairly insoluble in water (<1 g/L at 13℃).
- UsesDMT is used in the production of polyesters, including polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and poly trimethylene terephthalate. It consists of benzene substituted with carboxy methyl groups (CO2CH3) at the 1 and 4 positions. Because DMT is volatile, it is an intermediate in some schemes for the recyclic of PET, e.g. from plastic bottles.
Hydrogenation of DMT affords the diol cyclo hexane dimethanol , which is a useful monomer.
- UsesDimethyl terephthalate (DMT) is used in the production of polyesters, including polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and poly trimethylene terephthalate. It consists of benzene substituted with carboxy methyl groups (CO2CH3) at the 1 and 4 positions. Because DMT is volatile, it is an intermediate in some schemes for the recyclic of PET, e.g. from plastic bottles.
Hydrogenation of DMT affords the diol cyclohexanedimethanol, which is a useful monomer.
- Production MethodsDimethyl terephthalate (DMT) has been produced in a number of ways. Conventionally and still of commercial value is the direct esterification of terephthalic acid. Alternatively, it can be prepared by alternating oxidation and methyl-esterification steps from p-xylene via methyl-p-toluate.
- Synthesis Reference(s)Chemistry Letters, 15, p. 851, 1986
Journal of the American Chemical Society, 111, p. 8742, 1989 DOI: 10.1021/ja00205a039
Tetrahedron Letters, 17, p. 3299, 1976
- General DescriptionWhite solid or heated colorless liquid. Has no odor. Liquid solidifies in cool water. Solid and liquid sink in water.
- Air & Water ReactionsWhen mixed with air, the vapor or dust forms very hazardous and highly reactive mixtures. . Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileDIMETHYL TEREPHTHALATE is an ester. Esters react with acids to liberate heat along with alcohols and acids. Strong oxidizing acids may cause a vigorous reaction that is sufficiently exothermic to ignite the reaction products. Heat is also generated by the interaction of esters with caustic solutions. Flammable hydrogen is generated by mixing esters with alkali metals and hydrides. Can generate electrostatic charges. [Handling Chemicals Safely 1980. p. 250]. DIMETHYL TEREPHTHALATE is sensitive to heat. The molten material reacts with water due to the temperature. DIMETHYL TEREPHTHALATE is incompatible with strong oxidizers, strong acids and strong bases.
- Health HazardMolten DMT will cause severe burns of skin on contact.
- Fire HazardDIMETHYL TEREPHTHALATE is combustible.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by intraperitoneal route. Mdly toxic by ingestion. An eye irritant. Mutation data reported. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes
- CarcinogenicityIn a study conducted by the NCI, DMT was not considered to be carcinogenic in rats or mice ingesting 2500 or 5000 ppm in the diet for 103 weeks.
- Purification MethodsPurify it by recrystallisation from aqueous EtOH, MeOH or CCl4; or by zone melting. [Beilstein 6 H 843, 6 III 4250, 6 IV 3303.] .
Dimethyl terephthalate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsMethanolSulfuric acid Cupric sulfateP-XYLENETerephthalic acidmono-Methyl terephthalateMethyl 4-methylbenzoate
- Preparation ProductsPolyester resin paintpolyester-based liquid crystalling ionmer containing sulfonate groupmono-Methyl terephthalatePOLY(ETHYLENE TEREPHTHALATE)Antistatic finishing agent1,4-Cyclohexanedimethanol
- Dimethyl nitroterephthalate 1,4,5,8-Naphthalenetetracarboxylic dianhydride DIMETHYL 2-FLUOROTEREPHTHALATE TETRAMETHYL PYROMELLITATE Dimethyl 2-bromoterephthalate dibutyl terephthalate TRIMELLITIC ACID TRI-N-BUTYL ESTER Trioctyl trimellitate TRIISONONYL TRIMELLITATE Dimethyl terephthalate DIPHENYL TEREPHTHALATE TRIMETHYL 1,2,4-BENZENETRICARBOXYLATE Dacthal Dimethyl aminoterephthalate Pyromellitic Dianhydride BENZENEHEXACARBOXYLIC ACID HEXAMETHYL ESTER DIETHYL 2,5-DIHYDROXYTEREPHTHALATE BIS(HEXAFLUOROISOPROPYL)TEREPHTHALATE
- Company Name:- Gold
- Company Name:Nanjing Lanbai Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15366059326 025-85499326
- Company Name:shanghai science Bio-Pharmceutical.co,ltd. Gold
- Tel:13482412995 0215-7872719-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-