ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Esters > Methyl ester compound > Dimethyl terephthalate
- Product Name:Dimethyl terephthalate
- Synonyms: di-meterephthalate Dimethyl 1,4-benzenedicarboxylate Dimethyl ester of 1,4-benzenedicarboxylic acid Dimethyl p-benzenedicarboxylate dimethyl1,4-benzenedicarboxylate dimethyl4-phthalate Dimethylester kyseliny isoftalove Dimethylester kyseliny tereftalove
- Product Categories: Color Former & Related Compounds Functional Materials Sensitizer Alpha sort D DAlphabetic DID - DIN Pesticides&Metabolites C10 to C11 Carbonyl Compounds Esters Aromatics Isotope Labelled Compounds Miscellaneous Reagents - Carbonyl Compounds Chemical Synthesis Organic Building Blocks ester series Microscopy Reagents Various Chemicals Analytical Reagents Analytical/Chromatography Building Blocks C10 to C11
- Mol File:120-61-6.mol
Dimethyl terephthalate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:140 °C
- Boiling point:288 °C
- Density 1,29 g/cm3
- vapor density 1.04 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 1.15 mm Hg ( 93 °C)
- refractive index 1.4752
- Flash point:154 °C
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility water: slightly soluble0.0493g/L at 20°C
- form Flakes or Pellets
- color White
- explosive limit0.8-11.8%(V)
- Water Solubility It is slightly soluble in water but soluble in hot alcohol and ether.
- Merck 14,9162
- BRN 1107185
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong acids, strong bases, strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference120-61-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
Dimethyl terephthalate Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionDimethyl terephthalate (DMT) is an organic compound with the formula C6H4(CO2CH3)2. It is the diester formed from terephthalic acid and methanol. It is a white solid that melts to give a distillable colourless liquid.
- Chemical Propertieswhite chunks
- UsesDMT is used in the production of polyesters, including polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and poly trimethylene terephthalate. It consists of benzene substituted with carboxy methyl groups (CO2CH3) at the 1 and 4 positions. Because DMT is volatile, it is an intermediate in some schemes for the recyclic of PET, e.g. from plastic bottles.
Hydrogenation of DMT affords the diol cyclo hexane dimethanol , which is a useful monomer.
- UsesDimethyl terephthalate (DMT) is used in the production of polyesters, including polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and poly trimethylene terephthalate. It consists of benzene substituted with carboxy methyl groups (CO2CH3) at the 1 and 4 positions. Because DMT is volatile, it is an intermediate in some schemes for the recyclic of PET, e.g. from plastic bottles.
Hydrogenation of DMT affords the diol cyclohexanedimethanol, which is a useful monomer.
- Production MethodsDimethyl terephthalate (DMT) has been produced in a number of ways. Conventionally and still of commercial value is the direct esterification of terephthalic acid. Alternatively, it can be prepared by alternating oxidation and methyl-esterification steps from p-xylene via methyl-p-toluate.
- General DescriptionWhite solid or heated colorless liquid. Has no odor. Liquid solidifies in cool water. Solid and liquid sink in water.
- Air & Water ReactionsWhen mixed with air, the vapor or dust forms very hazardous and highly reactive mixtures. . Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileDIMETHYL TEREPHTHALATE is an ester. Esters react with acids to liberate heat along with alcohols and acids. Strong oxidizing acids may cause a vigorous reaction that is sufficiently exothermic to ignite the reaction products. Heat is also generated by the interaction of esters with caustic solutions. Flammable hydrogen is generated by mixing esters with alkali metals and hydrides. Can generate electrostatic charges. [Handling Chemicals Safely 1980. p. 250]. DIMETHYL TEREPHTHALATE is sensitive to heat. The molten material reacts with water due to the temperature. DIMETHYL TEREPHTHALATE is incompatible with strong oxidizers, strong acids and strong bases.
- Health HazardMolten DMT will cause severe burns of skin on contact.
- Fire HazardDIMETHYL TEREPHTHALATE is combustible.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by intraperitoneal route. Mdly toxic by ingestion. An eye irritant. Mutation data reported. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes
- Purification MethodsPurify it by recrystallisation from aqueous EtOH, MeOH or CCl4; or by zone melting. [Beilstein 6 H 843, 6 III 4250, 6 IV 3303.] .
Dimethyl terephthalate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsMethanolSulfuric acid Cupric sulfateP-XYLENETerephthalic acidmono-Methyl terephthalateMethyl 4-methylbenzoate
- Preparation ProductsPolyester resin paintpolyester-based liquid crystalling ionmer containing sulfonate groupmono-Methyl terephthalatePOLY(ETHYLENE TEREPHTHALATE)Antistatic finishing agent1,4-Cyclohexanedimethanol
- Dimethyl nitroterephthalate 1,4,5,8-Naphthalenetetracarboxylic dianhydride DIMETHYL 2-FLUOROTEREPHTHALATE TETRAMETHYL PYROMELLITATE Dimethyl 2-bromoterephthalate dibutyl terephthalate TRIMELLITIC ACID TRI-N-BUTYL ESTER Trioctyl trimellitate TRIISONONYL TRIMELLITATE Dimethyl terephthalate DIPHENYL TEREPHTHALATE TRIMETHYL 1,2,4-BENZENETRICARBOXYLATE Dacthal Dimethyl aminoterephthalate Pyromellitic Dianhydride BENZENEHEXACARBOXYLIC ACID HEXAMETHYL ESTER DIETHYL 2,5-DIHYDROXYTEREPHTHALATE BIS(HEXAFLUOROISOPROPYL)TEREPHTHALATE
- Company Name:Nanjing Lanbai Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:+86 (25) 8549-9326,8549-9316，15366059326 13813836665
- Company Name:Shanghai YouPeng Chemical Co. Ltd. Gold
- Tel:021-69002118 ，69006118
- Company Name:Creasyn Finechem(Tianjin) Co., Ltd.
- Email:email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 +86-10-82848833
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:+86-(0)21-61259100(Shanghai) +86-(0)755-86170099(ShenZhen) +86-(0)10-62670440(Beijing)