ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Hydrocarbons and derivatives > Hydrocarbon halides > 2-Bromo-2-methylpropane
- Product Name:2-Bromo-2-methylpropane
- Synonyms: 1,1-Dimethylethylbromide 1,1-dimethylethylchloride 1-Bromo-1,1-dimethylethane 1-bromo-1,1-dimethyl-ethane 2-bromo-2-methyl-propan 2-Bromoisobutane 2-methyl-2-bromopropane bromomethylpropanes
- Product Categories: Alkyl Building Blocks Chemical Synthesis Halogenated Hydrocarbons Organic Building Blocks Organics ALKYL BROMIDE Bromine Compounds
- Mol File:507-19-7.mol
2-Bromo-2-methylpropane Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-20 °C
- Boiling point:72 °C
- Density 1.22 g/mL at 20 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure 179.9 hPa (25 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:65 °F
- storage temp. Flammables area
- solubility H2O: insoluble
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless to yellow-brown
- Water Solubility insoluble
- Merck 14,1555
- BRN 1730892
- CAS DataBase Reference507-19-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferencePropane, 2-bromo-2-methyl-(507-19-7)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemPropane, 2-bromo-2-methyl-(507-19-7)
2-Bromo-2-methylpropane Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesCLEAR COLOURLESS TO YELLOW-BROWN LIQUID
- General DescriptionA colorless liquid. Slightly denser than water and insoluble in water. Flash point between 64 - 73°F. Harmful if inhaled.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileHalogenated aliphatic compounds, such as BROMOMETHYLPROPANE, are moderately or very reactive. Reactivity generally decreases with increased degree of substitution of halogen for hydrogen atoms. Low molecular weight haloalkanes are highly flammable and can react with some metals to form dangerous products. Materials in this group are incompatible with strong oxidizing and reducing agents. Also, they are incompatible with many amines, nitrides, azo/diazo compounds, alkali metals, and epoxides. Burning generates toxic fumes of bromine.
- Health HazardMay cause toxic effects if inhaled or absorbed through skin. Inhalation or contact with material may irritate or burn skin and eyes. Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution.
- Fire HazardHIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames. Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Containers may explode when heated. Many liquids are lighter than water.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by intraperitoneal route. Questionable carcinogen with experimental neoplastigenic data. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of BrSee also BROMIDES.
- Purification MethodsNeutralise the bromomethylpropane with K2CO3, distil, and dry it using molecular sieves (5A), then distil it in a vacuum and degas it by the freeze-pump-thaw technique. Seal it under vacuum. [Beilstein 1 IV 295.]
2-Bromo-2-methylpropane Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Bromine Bromodiphenylmethane Allyl bromide TERT-BUTYLLITHIUM 2-Chloro-2-methylpropane Tris Base Cyhalofop-butyl 4-tert-Butylphenol Bromofluoromethane Dibromomethane Buprofezin Sodium bromate Ethidium bromide 1-Bromobutane tert-Butyl hydroperoxide tert-Butyl bromoacetate Rocuronium bromide 1-Chloro-2-methylpropane
- Company Name:Hubei Zhonglong Kangsheng Fine Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13545340383 ； 027-83855389
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 +86-10-82848833
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Tel:400-610-6006; 021-67582000
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:Beijing dtftchem Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:13651141086; 86(10)60275028、60275820