Basic information Local anesthetic drug Chemical Properties Uses Production method Safety Related Supplier
Prilocaine Chemical Properties
- Melting point:37-38°
- Boiling point:bp0.1 159-162°
- Density 1.0117 (rough estimate)
- refractive index nD20 1.5298
- solubility Slightly soluble in water, very soluble in acetone and in ethanol (96 per cent).
- form neat
- pkapKa 7.32 or 7.89 (Uncertain)
- Water Solubility 6.169g/L(25 ºC)
- CAS DataBase Reference721-50-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferencePropanamide, n-(2-methylphenyl)-2-(propylamino)-(721-50-6)
- HS Code 2924296000
- Hazardous Substances Data721-50-6(Hazardous Substances Data)
Prilocaine Usage And Synthesis
- Local anesthetic drugPrilocaine belongs to amide local anesthetic drug with its anesthesia intensity and speed being similar as lidocaine but with a longer duration period and weaker effect on vasodilation. It has a lower toxicity than lidocaine. It is clinically for local anesthesia, especially suitable for treating patients who are not allowed to use adrenaline.
[Pharmacological] its 3% solution has a similar local anesthesia efficacy as the anesthesia drug of 2% lidocaine together with adrenaline. It has a slow onset time which lasts about 6~7min and the duration time of about 1.5~2h. It has a strong penetration capability through mucous membranes. Adrenaline has a slightly prolonged duration of action. PPB is 55% and T1/2 of about 1.5h. It is subject to liver metabolism with its metabolites nitroso toluidine being able to oxidize hemoglobin to form methemoglobin. It can be transported to the fetus through the placenta.
[Adverse reactions] once the usage amount exceeds 600mg, methaemoglobinaemia can occur with cyanosis, tachycardia, headache, dizziness and weakness occurring.
[Note] patients of anemia, congenital or acquired methaemoglobinaemia, respiratory failure or heart failure and hypoxic patients should be disabled. It is forbidden for applied to obstetric anesthesia.
[Usage and dosage] infiltration anesthesia: 0.5% to 1% solution with the duration of action of 1 to 1.5 hours.
Nerve blocking anesthesia: use 1% to 2% solution with the duration of action being 2-3 hours.
Epidural anesthesia: use10 to 30 mL of 1.5%~1% solution with the duration of action of 2.5 to 3.5 hours. Use a maximum dose of 600 mg.
Figure 1 the structural formula of prilocaine
The above information is edited by the Chemicalbook of Dai Xiongfeng.
- Chemical PropertiesIt is a kind of needle-like crystals with the melting point being 37-38 ℃ and the boiling point being 159-162 ℃ (0.133kPa), and refractive index (nD20) being 1.5299. Its hydrochloride ([1786-81-8]) is a white crystalline powder. The Melting point is 167-168 ℃. It is soluble in water and ethanol, slightly soluble in chloroform. It has sour taste and bitter taste and is odorless.
- UsesIt is a kind of local anesthetic drug. The product has better efficacy than procaine and the local anesthesia intensity and speed being similar as lidocaine but with longer duration time and less toxicity as well as smaller accumulation effect. It is suitable for epidural anesthesia, conduction anesthesia and infiltration anesthesia.
- Production methodO-toluidine and α-bromo-propionyl bromide are condensed and further have reaction with propylamine obtain prilocaine.
- Chemical PropertiesWhite or almost white, crystalline powder.
- UsesPrilocaine is a local anesthetic of the amino amide type. Prilocaine is often used in dentistry. Prilocaine is also often combined with lidocaine as a preparation for dermal anesthesia (lidocaine/prilocaine or EMLA), for treatment of conditions like paresthesia.
- DefinitionChEBI: An amino acid amide in which N-propyl-DL-alanine and 2-methylaniline have combined to form the amide bond; used as a local anaesthetic.
- General DescriptionPrilocaine hydrochloride is a water-soluble salt available asa solution for nerve block or infiltration in dental procedures.Prilocaine is used for intravenous regional anesthesiaas the risk of CNS toxicity is low because of the quick metabolism.Prilocaine prepared in the crystal form is used inEMLA for topical administration to decrease painful needlesticks in children. Prilocaine 4% solution should be protectedfrom light and the manufacturer recommends discardingif the solution turns pinkish or slightly darker than lightyellow. Solutions are available in various concentrations upto 4%, with or without epinephrine and with or withoutpreservatives.
- Clinical UsePrilocaine metabolism has beenstudied extensively in animal models, less is known aboutthe human metabolites or the human CYP enzymes involvedin their formation . The metabolism of prilocainein the liver yields o-toluidine, which is a possiblecarcinogen. Many aromatic amines, including o-toluidinehave been shown to be mutagenic, and metabolites of otoluidinehave been shown to form DNA adducts.Metabolites of o-toluidine are also believed to be responsiblefor the methemoglobinemia observed with prilocaineuse. To decrease the potential for methemoglobinemia, strictadherence to the maximum recommended dose should befollowed. Metabolism of prilocaine is extensive with lessthan 5% of a dose excreted unchanged in the urine.
Prilocaine Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Propionamide MIXTUREOFAMYLOCAINE,LIGNOCAINE,PRILOCAINE PRILOCAINE HYDROCHLORIDE IMP. B (EP): 2-METHYLBENZENAMINE (O-TOLUIDINE) PRILOCAINE HCL USP(CRM STANDARD) PRILOCAINE IMPURITY E(RS)-N-(METHYLPHENYL)-2-(PROPYLAMINO)PROPANAMIDE EPP(CRM STANDARD) prilocaine-phenylephrine PRILOCAINE RELATED COMPOUND B (50 MG) ((RS)-N-(4-METHYLPHENYL)-2-(PROPYLAMINO)PROPANA-MIDE) PRILOCAINE IMPURITY E (R)-Prilocaine,D-(-)-Prilocaine (S)-Prilocaine,L-(+)-Prilocaine Prilocaine Isopropylamine (-)-2-[METHYLAMINO]-1-PHENYLPROPANE Prilocaine HCL //Prilocaine,PRILOCAINE HCL,PRILOCAINE HYDROCHLORIDE,PRILOCAINE HYDROCHLORIDE USP,PRILOCAINE HYDROCHLORIDE BP STANDARD,PRILOCAINE HYDROCHLORIDE MM,PRILOCAINE HYDROCHLORIDE ASSAY STANDARD BP(CRM STANDARD),PRILOCAINE HYDROCHLORIDE BP STANDARD(CRM STANDARD),PRILOCAINE HYDROCHLORIDE EPP(CRM STANDARD),PRILOCAINE HYDROCHLORIDE EPP,PRILOCAINE HYDROCHLORIDE MM(CRM STANDARD) Allylamine D/L-AMPHETAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE Propylamine
- Company Name:Jinan Jianfeng Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Guangzhou Beierka Biotech Limited Gold
- Company Name:Shandong RuiYue Biotechnology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18805314509 0531-88581623-
- Company Name:Wuhan Biocar Bio-Pharm Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Wuhan Bo Jin Biotechnology Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Dec 3，2019