ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Digestive system drugs > Laxatives and Antidiarrheal Medicines > Loperamide
Loperamide Chemical Properties
Loperamide Usage And Synthesis
- DefinitionChEBI: A synthetic piperidine derivative, effective against diarrhoea resulting from gastroenteritis or inflammatory bowel disease.
- brand nameAmi-29;Colifelin;Colifilm;Diareze;Dissenter;Duplibiot;Elcoman;Firtasec;Loperan;Loperin;Lopermid;Motilix;Orulop;Pf 185;Pricilone;R-18553;Regulane;Seldiar;Taguinol;Telboc;Totrtasec.
- World Health Organization (WHO)Loperamide, an inhibitor of intestinal peristalsis, was introduced in 1975 for the treatment of acute and chronic diarrhoea. In many countries its use was discouraged in young children. In late 1989, treatment of infants in Pakistan was associated with 19 cases of paralytic ileus, 6 of which have been fatal. This has subsequently led the major manufacturer to withdraw all drop formulations of the drug worldwide as well as the lower dose syrup forms from countries where there is a programme for the control of diarrhoeal diseases. The WHO Control of Diarrhoeal Diseases Programme recommends that loperamide should not be used in children below five year of age. (Reference: (LJJ) Letter to WHO from Johnson & Johnson, , , 21 June 1990)
- General DescriptionLoperamide (Imodium) is a 4-phenylypiperidine with amethadone-like structure attached to the piperidine nitrogen. It acts as an antidiarrheal by directly binding tothe opiate receptors in the gut wall. Loperamide inhibitsacetylcholine and prostaglandin release, decreasing peristalsisand fluid secretion thus increasing the GI transit time andreducing the volume of fecal matter.Loperamide is sufficiently lipophilic to cross the blood-brain barrier, yet itdisplays no CNS-opioid effects. The reason for this is that itis actively pumped out of the brain via the P-glycoproteinpump (MDR1). Knockout mice with the P-glycoproteinpump genetically removed were given radiolabeled loperamideand sacrificed 4 hours later. The [3H]loperamideconcentrations were measured and compared with wild-typemice. A 13.5-fold increase in loperamide concentration wasfound in the brain of the knockouts. In addition, the micelacking the P-glycoprotein pump displayed pronouncedsigns of central opiate agonism. Loperamide is availableas 2-mg capsules for treatment of acute and chronic diarrhea.Recommended dosage is 4 mg initially, with 2 mgafter each loose stool for a maximum of 16 mg/d.
- Veterinary Drugs and TreatmentsLoperamide is used as a GI motility modifier in small animals. Use in cats is controversial and many clinicians do not recommend using in cats.
Loperamide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Diphenylmethane Loperamide hydrochloride, Vetranal,LOPERAMIDE HYDROCHLROIDE,LOPERAMIDE HCL,LOPERAMIDE HYDROCHLORIDE Loperamide Diphenylphosphine Albuterol sulfate DOBUTAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE Diphenyldimethoxysilane Dimethyl carbonate ETHANE tert-Butylchlorodiphenylsilane 1,3-Diphenyl-2-thiourea Tributylamine loperamide oxide Fluperamide Dichlorodiphenylsilane Chlorodiphenylphosphine Dimethyl fumarate Diphenylsilane
- Company Name:LGM Pharma
- Company Name:Syntechem Co.,Ltd
- Tel:Please Email
- Company Name:Beijing HuaMeiHuLiBiological Chemical
- Company Name:Finetech Industry Limited
- Company Name:Wuhan Dahua Weiye Pharmaceutical Chemical Co., Ltd.