ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Phosphide And metal phosphates > Potassium phosphate tribasic
Potassium phosphate tribasic
Potassium phosphate tribasic Chemical Properties
- Melting point:1340 °C
- Density 2.564 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- storage temp. room temp
- solubility water: soluble100mg/mL, clear, colorless
- form Solid
- Specific Gravity2.564
- color White
- Water Solubility 50.8 g/100 mL (25 ºC)
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,7660
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, moisture.
- CAS DataBase Reference7778-53-2(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemTripotassium phosphate (7778-53-2)
Potassium phosphate tribasic Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionPotassium phosphate is a reagent with high buffering capacity, It serves as a buffering agent to regulate pH, Typically used as a component for a wide variety of media used in the culture of microorganisms, as a component in phosphate buffered saline (PBS). It occurs in several forms: monobasic, dibasic, and tribasic (K3PO4). Most pH neutral potassium phosphate buffer solutions consist of mixtures of the monobasic and dibasic forms to varying degrees, depending on the desired pH. Gomori buffers, the most commonly used phosphate buffers, consist of a mixture of monobasic dihydrogen phosphate and dibasic monohydrogen phosphate. By varying the amount of each salt, a range of buffers can be prepared that buffer well between pH 5.8 and pH 8.0 (please see the tables below). Phosphates have a very high buffering capacity and are highly soluble in water.
Potassium phosphate is used as a fertilizer and food additive. It is also used in optical modulators and for non-linear optics such as second-harmonic generation (SHG). It is involved in the phase-transfer catalyzed preparation of acetylenes from the corresponding vicinal dibromo compounds through double dehydrobromination. It is also useful for the oxidative coupling of thiols to disulfide.
- Potassium phosphate is an acidity regulator and chelating agent (used to bind metal ions). It prevents desiccation and is used as an acid stabiliser in powders as well as to prevent formation of clumps. It increases the activity of antioxidants.
- In the food industry (Food additives), it is used as emulsifier, potassium fortifier, flavoring agent, meat binder. Potassium phosphate helps stabilize, thicken and regulate the acidity and moisture in foods. According to the provision of the FAO(1984), its application and limited amount is as below: instant broth; total phosphate salt: 1000 mg/kg (calculated based on P2O5); cooked pork forelegs, ham, cooked minced meat 3g/kg (single usage amount or combination amount with other phosphate, calculated on P2O5); low concentrated milk powder, condensed milk, dilute cream: 2 g/kg (single usage amount); combination amount with other stabilizer: 3 (calculated on anhydrous substance); milk powder, processed cheese: 5g/kg; processed cheese, the total amount of phosphate 9g/kg (calculated as phosphorus); cold drink: 2g/kg (single usage amount or combination amount with other phosphate, calculated on P2O5).
- It can be used for the preparation of pasta products with alkaline water.It can be used for the manufacture of liquid soap, high-quality paper, refined gasoline, high-quality paper, being the phosphorus and potassium fertilizers. It can be used as boiler water softener. Also used in medicine.Potassium phosphate is sometimes used as a medicine. It can have a diuretic effect and act as a laxative when used in medicinal amounts. However, phosphorus can interact with some medications, including corticosteroids and potassium-sparing diuretics, increasing the risk for adverse effects; only use it when advised to do so by a doctor.
- It can be used as analytical reagent, buffer and softener.
- ToxicityADI 0 to 70 (calculate based on the total phosphate as phosphorus; FAO/WHO, 2001).
ADI 0 to 70 mg/kg (calculated as phosphorus, FAO/WHO, 1985). It is generally recognized as being safe (US Food and Drug Administration, 1985). According to the provision of the FAO(1984); instant broth; total phosphate salt: 1000 mg/kg (calculated based on P2O5); cooked pork forelegs, ham, cooked minced meat 3g/kg; low concentrated milk powder, condensed milk, dilute cream: 2 g/kg; milk powder, processed cheese: 5g/kg; processed cheese, the total amount of phosphate 9g/kg (calculated as phosphorus); cold drink: 2g/kg.
- Side effectsPhosphates are normal essential salts for the body. In view of the need to avoid calcium deficiency, their use is limited, as they bind up calcium readily. They have no side effects.
- Chemical Propertieswhite powder or crystals
- Physical propertiesColorless orthorhombic crystals; deliquescent; density 2.564 g/cm3at 17°C;melts at 1,380°C; very soluble in water, 90 g/100mL at 20°c; aqueous solutions strongly alkaline; insoluble in alcohol.
- UsesIt is used as a buffering agent.
- PreparationThe tribasic salt is produced by complete neutralization of phosphoric acid with potassium hydroxide, followed by evaporation and crystallization:H3PO4+ 3KOH →K3PO4+ 3H2O.
Potassium phosphate tribasic Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsPotassium hydroxide Phosphorous acidPotassium hydroxide solution
- Preparation ProductsPotassium dihydrogen phosphate4-Vinylpyridine3-AMINOBIPHENYL3-PHENYLBENZYLAMINECHLOROPHYLL Aacrylonitrile fiber oil 1^<#^>CHLOROPHYLLPotassium triphosphate(SP-4-2)-((2E,7R,11R)-3,7,11,15-Tetramethyl-2-hexadecenyl (3S,4S,21R)-9-ethenyl-14-ethyl-13-formyl-21-(methoxycarbonyl)-4,8,18-trimethyl-20-oxo-3-phorbinepropanoato(2-)-N23,N24,N25,N26]-magnesiumStarch, phosphatePENICILLINASEIsothioate2-(Allyloxy)phenol
- BUFFER SOLUTION PH 4.00 TRI-POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE-1-HYDRATE EXTRAPURE POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE DIBASIC, ACS Potassium phosphate dibasic anhydrous 835 BUFFER SOLUTION PF-4 PHOSPHATE BUFFER SOLUTION 0.1M*POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE 0.04M-PEG 8000 16%- BUFFER SOLUTION, PH 4.63,BUFFER SOLUTION, PH 4.0, ACETATE BUFFER SOLUTION PH 4 POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE MONOBASIC 0.05-PEG Potassium phosphate reibasic anhydrous Potassium hexafluorophosphate phosphate FERRIC PHOSPHATE Potassium sorbate Losartan potassium POTASSIUM PHOSPHITE Potassium triphosphate
Potassium phosphate tribasicSupplierMore
- Company Name:HUAIAN CHUANLIN CHEMICAL CO., LTD. Gold
- Tel:15182322377 0519-89615938-
- Products Intro:CAS:7778-53-2
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Tel:400-620-6333 021-20337333-801
- Products Intro:Product Name:Potassium phosphate tribasic hydrate
- Company Name:Jiangsu Kolod Food Ingredients Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18861332158 0518-85110930-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Tripotassium Phosphate
- Company Name:Beijing Holiyang Chemical Co. Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13718199399 010-69380220-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Potassium phosphate tribasic
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Potassium phosphate, anhydrous, min. 97%
Purity:min. 97% Package:1kg;250g