ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Aldehydes spices > Acyclic aliphatic aldehydes > 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural
5-Hydroxymethylfurfural Chemical Properties
- Melting point:28-34 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:114-116 °C1 mm Hg(lit.)
- Density 1.243 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:175 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- form Liquid or Crystalline Powder and/or Chunks
- color Light yellow to yellow
- Water Solubility Soluble in water, alcohol, ethyl acetate, acetone, dimethylformamide, benzene, ether and chloroform.
- Sensitive Air & Light Sensitive
- Merck 14,4832
- BRN 110889
- Stability:Light Sensitive, Very Hygroscopic
- CAS DataBase Reference67-47-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference2-Furancarboxaldehyde, 5-(hydroxymethyl)-(67-47-0)
- EPA Substance Registry System2-Furancarboxaldehyde, 5-(hydroxymethyl)- (67-47-0)
5-Hydroxymethylfurfural Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesBeige Coloured Crystalline Solid
- UsesAs an indicator for excess heat-treatment in sugar-containing food.
- UsesAn antioxidant for grape and apple juice.
- DefinitionChEBI: A member of the class of furans that is furan which is substituted at positions 2 and 5 by formyl and hydroxymethyl substituents, respectively. Virtually absent from fresh foods, it is naturally generated in sugar-containing foods during storage, and espec ally by drying or cooking. It is the causative component in honey that affects the presystemic metabolism and pharmacokinetics of GZ in-vivo.
- Synthesis Reference(s)The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 59, p. 7259, 1994 DOI: 10.1021/jo00103a016
- Safety ProfileQuestionable carcinogen with experimental tumorigenic data.Mutation data reported. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also ALDEHYDES
- Metabolic pathwayWhen 5-hydroxymethyl-2-furaldehyde (HMF) is administered orally or intravenously to rats, HMF or its metabolites are rapidly eliminated in the urine with the recovery of 95 ? 100% after 24 h. HMF is completely converted to two metabolites which are identified as 5- hydroxymethyl-2-furoic acid and N-(5-hydroxymethyl-2- furoyl)glycine.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise it from diethyl ether/pet ether. [Beilstein 18 III/IV 100, 18/1 V 130.]
5-Hydroxymethylfurfural Preparation Products And Raw materials
- 5-ACETOXYMETHYL-2-FURALDEHYDE 5-(2-METHOXY-PHENOXYMETHYL)-FURAN-2-CARBOXYLIC ACID 5-(NAPHTHALEN-2-YLOXYMETHYL)-FURAN-2-CARBOXYLIC ACID 5-[([1,1'-BIPHENYL]-4-YLOXY)METHYL]-2-FUROIC ACID ETHYL 5-[(ACETYLOXY)METHYL]-2-FUROATE METHYL 5-[([1,1'-BIPHENYL]-4-YLOXY)METHYL]-2-FUROATE Dimethyl Furan-2,5-dicarboxylate 5-FORMYL-2-FURANCARBOXYLIC ACID Trimethylolpropane 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural CARBOXYMETHYLCELLULOSE SODIUM SALT Hydroxymethyl 2-Hydroxyethyl methacrylate 5-Hydroxymethylthiazole 5-Methyl furfural 5-Nitrofurfural methylol cellulose Furfural
- Company Name:Zhejiang Tangneng Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15888549393 0574-55878979-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Worldyang Chemical Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13651600618 +86-21-56791066,56795766,56795797
- Company Name:Suzhou Guide Fine Material Co.Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13616210669 0512-66627360-8004
- Company Name:Shanghai TongYuan Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13701855675 021-69182866-