ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Aromatic acid, ester and derivatives > 3-Phenylpropionic acid
3-Phenylpropionic acid Chemical Properties
- Melting point:45-48 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:280 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.071 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- FEMA 2889 | 3-PHENYLPROPIONIC ACID
- refractive index 1.5408 (estimate)
- Flash point:>230 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility ethanol: soluble50mg/mL, clear, colorless to faintly yellow
- form Liquid
- pka4.66(at 25℃)
- Specific Gravity1.071
- color Clear yellow to yellow-green
- Water Solubility Soluble in water
- JECFA Number646
- Merck 14,4784
- BRN 907515
- CAS DataBase Reference501-52-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference3-Phenylpropanoic acid(501-52-0)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemHydrocinnamic acid (501-52-0)
3-Phenylpropionic acid Usage And Synthesis
- Description3-Phenylpropionic acid is a carboxylic acid that belongs to the class of phenylpropanoids. Also referred as hydrocinnamic acid, the chemical is a white crystalline solid with a sweet fatty smell of rose musk cinnamon at room temperature. 3-Phenylpropionic acid is soluble in both water and alcohol. It is widely used in food additives, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals.
- PreparationHydrogenation of cinnamic acid is used in the preparation of 3-Phenylpropionic acid. Initially, the chemical was prepared by reduction with sodium amalgam in water by electrolysis.
- UsesFood Industry
3-Phenylpropionic acid is utilized in the food industry as a preservative as well as to maintain the original quality of aroma of frozen foods. It is also used for flavoring and restoring original color to food. 3-Phenylpropionic acid is added to shelved foods to prevent microorganisms from deteriorating the food. It also acts as an antioxidant to prolong the life of foodstuff in shelves. 3-Phenylpropionic acid is also used as a food sweetener.
3-Phenylpropionic acid acts as an emulsifier as it can keep water and oil mixtures separated. 3-Phenylpropionic acid can be added in food for technological reasons in wide range such as processing, manufacturing, packaging, treatment, transportation, and storage.
3-Phenylpropionic acid is used in beautifying products such as bath gels, detergent powders, and fabric softeners as it gives a floral scent. It is also used as a flavour for mouthwashes and toothpastes.
- Chemical Properties3-Phenylpropionic acid has a faint, sweet odor, somewhat balsamic and coumarin-like with a mildly sweet-sour, vanilla-like taste.
- Chemical Propertieswhite to off-white crystalline mass, powder or crystals and/or chunk
- OccurrenceReported found in raspberry, guava fruit, Vitis vinifera L., papaya, strawberry fruit, cinnamon, cassia leaf, cheddar cheese, cocoa, beer, cognac, white wine, red wine, special wine, rose apple, mushroom, cloudberry, Boletus edulis, fresh mango, licorice and labdanum.
- UsesUsed in the compositions for the treatment of blood disorders using α-methylhydrocinnamic acid.
- UsesHydrocinnamic acid was used in the synthesis of three medium-chain acyl-Coenzyme A′s i.e. 3-phenylpropionyl-CoA from mixed anhydrides of fatty acids.
- DefinitionChEBI: A monocarboxylic acid that is propionic acid substituted at position 3 by a phenyl group.
- PreparationBy reduction of cinnamic acid using sodium amalgam.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise the acid from *benzene, CHCl3 or pet ether (b 40-60o). Dry it in a vacuum. [Beilstein 9 H 508.]
3-Phenylpropionic acid Preparation Products And Raw materials
- TRANS-2-PHENYL-1-CYCLOPROPANECARBOXYLIC ACID Benzocyclobutyl-1-carboxylic acid METHYL 4-FLUOROBENZOYLACETATE 3-Phenylpropionic acid 3-Bromopropionic acid Testosterone propionate 2-Phenylphenol Ethyl propionate Phenylacetone (S)-(+)-2-Phenylpropionic acid Hyaluronic acid Clobetasol propionate Calcium Propionate Folic acid P-HYDROXYCINNAMIC ACID Citric acid trans-Cinnamic acid Ascoric Acid
- Company Name:Wuhan lenmaike Industrial Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18108665271 027-83916065-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar Gold
- Company Name:Tianjin Danjun International Trade Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Hubei Qibu New Material Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18062324989 0715-8890696
- Company Name:Shanghai mayao chemical technology co., ltd. Gold