ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Ketones spices > Aromatic ketone > 4'-Methylacetophenone
4'-Methylacetophenone Chemical Properties
- Melting point:45-49 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:226 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.005 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure 0.52 hPa (25 °C)
- FEMA 2677 | 4'-METHYLACETOPHENONE
- refractive index n
- Flash point:198 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility 2.07g/l
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless to pale yellow
- explosive limit1.00%(V)
- Water Solubility 0.37 g/L (15 ºC)
- JECFA Number807
- BRN 606053
- CAS DataBase Reference122-00-9(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceEthanone, 1-(4-methylphenyl)-(122-00-9)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemEthanone, 1-(4-methylphenyl)- (122-00-9)
4'-Methylacetophenone Usage And Synthesis
- Description4'-Methylacetophenone has a fruity, floral odor resembling acetophenone and a sweet, strawberry-like flavor. May be prepared by slow addition of acetyl chloride to a mixture of toluene and AlCl in an ice bath and under vacuum, maintaining the temperature at +5°C and then letting it increase to +20°C.
- Chemical Properties4?-Methylacetophenone has a fruity, floral odor resembling acetophenone and a sweet, strawberry-like flavor.
- Chemical Propertiesclear colourless to pale yellowish liquid
- Chemical Properties4'-Methylacetophenone has been identified in Brazilian rosewood oil and in pepper. It occurs as colorless crystals with a floral, sweet odor that is milder than that of acetophenone. 4-Methylacetophenone is prepared from toluene and acetic anhydride or acetyl chloride by a Friedel–Crafts reaction. It is used for blossom notes in mimosaand hawthorn-type perfumes, especially soap perfumes.
- OccurrenceReported found in the essential oil distilled from the wood of Myrocarpus fastigiatus, Myrocarpus frondo sus, Bois de Rose. Also reported found in sour cherry, orange and grapefruit peel oil, black currants, guava, peach, blackberry, celery, potato, tomato, mentha oils, pepper, parsley, smoked fish, cognac, parmesan cheese, cocoa, tea, soybean, cloudberry, mango, cauliflower, broccoli, rice bran, buckwheat, dried bonito, cherimoya, calabash nutmeg and mastic gum leaf oil, cooked cabbage, mandarin juice.
- Uses4'-Methylacetophenone is a methylated acteophenone used in cosmetics and perfumery. The presence of 4'-Methylacetophenone has been shown to accelerate the photopolymerization of Methyl methacrylate.
- PreparationBy slow addition of acetyl chloride to a mixture of toluene and AlCl in an ice bath and under vacuum, maintaining the temperature at +5°C and then letting it increase to +20°C.
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 20 ppm: sweet, creamy, fruity, cherry and heliotropine-like.
- Synthesis Reference(s)Journal of the American Chemical Society, 110, p. 2560, 1988 DOI: 10.1021/ja00216a032
Tetrahedron Letters, 27, p. 2965, 1986 DOI: 10.1016/S0040-4039(00)84691-2
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion. A human skin irritant. A flammable liquid. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also KETONES.
- Purification MethodsImpurities, including the o-and m-isomers, are removed by forming the semicarbazone (m 212-213.5o) which, after repeated crystallisation, is hydrolysed to the ketone. [Brown & Marino J Am Chem Soc 84 1236 1962.] It can also be purified by distillation under reduced pressure, followed by low temperature crystallisation from isopentane. [Beilstein 7 IV 701.]
4'-Methylacetophenone Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation Products4-(1,2,3-THIADIAZOL-4-YL)BENZOYL CHLORIDE4-(1,2,3-THIADIAZOL-4-YL)BENZYLAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE4-(1,2,3-THIADIAZOL-4-YL)BENZALDEHYDE4-[4-(BROMOMETHYL)PHENYL]-1,2,3-THIADIAZOLE5-P-TOLYL-3H-THIENO[2,3-D]PYRIMIDIN-4-ONEETHYL 2-AMINO-4-(4-METHYLPHENYL)-3-THIOPHENECARBOXYLATE4-(4-METHYLPHENYL)-1,2,3-THIADIAZOLE4-Acetylbenzoic acidCYAZOFAMID
- Raw materialsAluminium chlorideAcetyl chlorideBenzyl chlorideSemicarbazide
- 4,4'-Dichlorobenzophenone 4'-Chloropropiophenone Tolperisone Impurity B M-METHYLPROPIOPHENONE Tolperisone Impurity C ETHYL-O-TOLYL KETONE Tolperisone hydrochloride Tolperisone Impurity A 4'-Methylpropiophenone Methyl salicylate Acetophenone 3'-METHYLACETOPHENONE,3-METHYLACETOPHENONE,3'-METHYLACETOPHENONE (M-) Methyl bromide 3'-(Trifluoromethyl)acetophenone 2-Bromo-4'-methylacetophenone 4'-(Trifluoromethyl)acetophenone ALIZARIN COMPLEXONE 2-BROMO-4'-PHENYLACETOPHENONE
- Company Name:-Sino-High (China) Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:15151073745 025-58392388-
- Company Name:Mei Lan Industrial (Shanghai) Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Changzhou Xuanming Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Jiuqu Biotechnology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Hanhong Medicine Technology (Hubei) Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:17307112389 027-86832068-