ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Carboxylic acids and derivatives > Acyclic carboxylic acid > Octanoic acid
Octanoic acid Chemical Properties
- Melting point:16 °C
- Boiling point:237 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.91 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 5 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 1 mm Hg ( 78 °C)
- FEMA 2799 | OCTANOIC ACID
- refractive index n
- Flash point:>230 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility 0.68g/l
- form Liquid
- pka4.89(at 25℃)
- color Clear colorless to yellow
- Specific Gravity0.910 (20/4℃)
- Odorunpleasant odor
- PH4 (0.2g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- PH Range3.5
- explosive limit1%(V)
- Water Solubility 0.68 g/L (20 ºC)
- JECFA Number99
- Merck 14,1765
- BRN 1747180
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with bases, reducing agents, oxidizing agents. Flammable.
- CAS DataBase Reference124-07-2(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceOctanoic acid(124-07-2)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemOctanoic acid (124-07-2)
- Hazard Codes C,Xi
- Risk Statements 34
- Safety Statements 26-36/39-45-36/37/39-25-27
- RIDADR UN 3265 8/PG 3
- WGK Germany 1
- RTECS RH0175000
- Autoignition Temperature>300 °C
- Hazard Note Irritant
- TSCA Yes
- HS Code 2915 90 70
- HazardClass 8
- PackingGroup III
- Hazardous Substances Data124-07-2(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 orally in rats: 10,080 mg/kg (Jenner)
Octanoic acid Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionKnown by the systematic name octanoic acid, Caprylic Acid is a type of beneficial saturated medium-chain fatty acid with antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties, whose compounds are found naturally in the breast milk of various mammals, coconut oil and palm kernel oil. It is an oily liquid with a slightly unpleasant rancid-like smell and taste that is minimally soluble in water.
It is widely applied in various fields, one of which is used as an antimicrobial pesticide, in which it serves as a food contact surface sanitizer in commercial food handling establishments on dairy equipment, food processing equipment, breweries, wineries, and beverage processing plants. Besides, Caprylic acid is used commercially in the manufacture of esters used in perfumery and in the production of dyes. It is also used as an algaecide, bactericide, and fungicide in nurseries, greenhouses, garden centers, and interiorscapes on ornamentals. Some studies have shown that Caprylic acid is effective to excess calorie burning taken as a dietary supplement, resulting in weigh loss.
- DescriptionCaprylic acid is the common name for the eight-carbon saturated fatty acid known by the systematic name octanoic acid. It is found naturally in the milk of various mammals, and it is a minor constituent of coconut oil and palm kernel oil. It is an oily liquid that is minimally soluble in water with a slightly unpleasant rancid-like smell and taste.
Two other acids are named after goats: caproic (C6) and capric (C10). Along with caprylic acid these total 15 % in goat milk fat.
- Chemical PropertiesCaprylic acid, CH3(CH2)6COOH, also known as hexylacetic acid,n-octanoic acid, octylie acid, and octic acid, is a colorless oily liquid fatty acid with a melting point of 16 DC. It is found in butter, coconut oil, and other fats. It is used in manufacturing drugs and dyes.
- Chemical PropertiesCaprylic acid is the common name for octanoic acid,
CH3(CH2)6COOH, a saturated fatty acid. As an eight carbon compound
it is among the fatty acids considered to be of short or
medium chain length. It is a colorless, oily liquid having a mildly
unpleasant odor and a burning, rancid taste. It is only slightly
soluble in water (68 mg per 100 mL at 20°C). It is a natural
component of coconut and palm nut oils and butter fat. Caprylic
acid has also been identified in trace amounts in beer, brandy
distillate, the essential oil of fermented Russian black tea leaves,
and raw soybeans.
It is produced by fermentation and fractional distillation of the volatile fatty acids present in coconut oil.
- Chemical PropertiesOctanoic acid has a mildly unpleasant odor and a burning, rancid taste. Octanoic acid is also reported as having a faint, fruity–acid odor and slightly sour taste. Caprylic acid is the common name for octanoic acid, CH3(CH2)6COOH, a saturated fatty acid. As an eight-carbon compound, it is among the fatty acids considered to be of short or medium chain length.
- OccurrenceIt is a natural component of coconut and palm nut oils and butter fat. Caprylic acid has also been identified in trace amounts in beer, brandy distillate, the essential oil of fermented Russian black tea leaves and raw soybeans. Reported as occurring naturally in the essential oils of Cupressus torulosa, Cryptomeria japonica, Andropogon iwarancusa, Cymbopogon javanensis, camphor, nutmeg, lemongrass, lime, tobacco (flowers), Artemisia herba-alba, chamomile, hops and others; also reported in apple aroma, coconut oil as glyceride, and wine as an ester; it has been identified (free and esterified) among the constituents of petitgrain lemon oil. Also reported in many foods and beverages including apple, banana, lemon and grapefruit peel oils, cranberries, guava, grapes, raisin, strawberry, raspberry, pineapple, burley, cheddar cheese, cooked lamb and mutton, papaya, potato, tomato, bell pepper, sauerkraut, ginger, peppermint and spearmint oil, breads, many cheeses, butter, milk, yogurt, cooked egg, fish, meats, hop oil, beer, rum, cider, whiskies, grape wines, cocoa, coffee, tea, peanut oil, pecans, oats, coconut products, passion fruit, blue cheese, beans, sweet marjoram, mushroom, cardamom, coriander seed, sesame seed, mango, tamarind, fig, calamus, rice, radish, dill, corn oil, loquat, licorice, sake, buckwheat, malt, wort, elderberry, cherimoya, kiwifruit, shrimp, clam, scallop and Chinese quince.
- UsesOctanoic acid is a flavoring agent considered to be a short or medium chain fatty acid. It occurs normally in various foods and is commercially prepared by oxidation of n-octanol or by fermentation and fractional distillation of the volatile fatty acids present. It is used in maximum levels, as served, of 0.13% for baked goods; 0.04% for cheeses; 0.005% for fats and oils, frozen dairy desserts, gelatins and puddings, meat products, and soft candy; 0.016% for snack foods; and 0.001% or less for all other food categories. It is also termed octanoic acid.
- UsesIntermediates of Liquid Crystals
- UsesCaprylic acid is used commercially in the production of esters used in perfumery and also in the manufacture of dyes.
Caprylic acid is also used in the treatment of some bacterial infections. Due to its relatively short chain length it has no difficulty in penetrating fatty cell wall membranes, hence its effectiveness in combating certain lipid-coated bacteria, such as Staphylococcus aureus and various species of Streptococcus.
Caprylic acid is an antimicrobial pesticide used as a food contact surface sanitizer in commercial food handling establishments on dairy equipment, food processing equipment, breweries, wineries, and beverage processing plants. It is also used as disinfectant in health care facilities, schools/colleges, animal care/veterinary facilities, industrial facilities, office buildings, recreational facilities, retail and wholesale establishments, livestock premises, restaurants, and hotels/motels. In addition, caprylic acid is used as an algaecide, bactericide, and fungicide in nurseries, greenhouses, garden centers, and interiorscapes on ornamentals. Products containing caprylic acid are formulated as soluble concentrate/liquids and ready-to-use liquids.
For ghrelin to have a hunger-stimulating action on a hypothalamus, caprylic acid must be linked to a serine residue at the 3-position of ghrelin. To cause hunger, it must acylate a - OH group. Other fatty acids in the same position have similar effects on hunger.
The octanoic acid breath test is used to measure gastric emptying. Some potential benefit is possible from administration of octanoic acid for patients with essential tremor.
The acid chloride of caprylic acid is used in the synthesis of perfluorooctanoic acid.
- UsesAn intermediate in manufacture of esters used in perfumery; in manufacture of dyes, etc.
- DefinitionChEBI: A straight-chain saturated fatty acid that is heptane in which one of the hydrogens of a terminal methyl group has been replaced by a carboxy group. Octanoic acid is also known as caprylic acid.
- PreparationBy fermentation and fractional distillation of the volatile fatty acids present in coconut oil.
- Aroma threshold valuesDetection: 910 ppb to 19 ppm. Aroma characteristics at 1.0%: waxy, dirty, sweaty and cheesy fatty, with dirty oily and creamy dairy nuances.
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 10 ppm: creamy, waxy, dirty, sweaty, dairy cheeselike.
- Synthesis Reference(s)Chemistry Letters, 20, p. 5, 1991
The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 54, p. 5395, 1989 DOI: 10.1021/jo00283a044
Synthetic Communications, 19, p. 2151, 1989
- General DescriptionA colorless to light yellow liquid with a mild odor. Burns, but may be difficult to ignite. Corrosive to metals and tissue.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by intravenous route. Mildly toxic by ingestion. Mutation data reported. A skin irritant. Yields irritating vapors that can cause coughmg. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
Octanoic acid Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation ProductsCapryl alcoholCyclohexanolN-METHYLOCTYLAMINEOctanal6-METHOXY-2-NAPHTHOIC ACIDfluoro surfactant FC-154Bromoxynil octanoate glycerin caprylate polyoxethylene etherOctanoyl chlorideMono-caprylin glycerateNONAFLUORO-3,6-DIOXAHEPTANOIC ACIDCaprylic acid methyl esterMONOCAPRYLIN2-BROMOOCTANOIC ACIDFEMA 2080FEMA 20793-OCTANOLHEPTYL CAPRYLATEALLYL CAPRYLATEFEMA 3222Ethyl caprylate Decanoyl/octanoyl-glyceridesnonyl octanoate Emollient for chewing gumsFEMA 2575Bovine albumin
- Raw materialsMalonic acidCapryl alcoholPeroxyacetic acidCoconut oil1-OCTENELIMONIN(SH)Octanal
- 3-Cyclopentylpropionic acid 4-CARBETHOXY-2-ETHYL-3-METHYL-2-CYCLOHEXEN-1-ONE 7-CHLOROCARBONYL-HEPTANOIC ACID ETHYL ESTER METHYL CYCLOHEXANEACETATE Cyclohexylacetic acid ETHYL CYCLOHEXANEPROPIONATE Lipoic acid Stannous octoate Ascoric Acid Folic acid 1-Octanol Octanoic acid Stearic acid 2-Ethylhexanoic acid Citric acid Cobalt bis(2-ethylhexanoate) Sodium 2-ethylhexanoate Ethyl 2-(Chlorosulfonyl)acetate
- Company Name:Nanjing Done?Chemical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13851695187 025-85282271-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Caprylic acid
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Octanoic acid
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Products Intro:Product Name:n-Octanoic Acid
Purity:>98.0%(GC)(T) Package:25ML;500ML Remarks:O0027
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Products Intro:Product Name:Octanoic acid, 98+%
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Products Intro:Product Name:n-Octanoic Acid
Purity:98.0% GC&T Package:25ML,500ML