ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > fatty acid > 4-Methoxyphenylacetic acid
4-Methoxyphenylacetic acid Chemical Properties
- Melting point:84-86 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:140 °C3 mm Hg(lit.)
- Density 1.1708 (rough estimate)
- refractive index 1.5101 (estimate)
- Flash point:193°C
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility 6g/l
- pkapK1:4.358 (25°C)
- form Crystalline Powder and Chunks
- color White to light yellow
- Water Solubility 6 g/L (20 ºC)
- BRN 1101737
- CAS DataBase Reference104-01-8(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceBenzeneacetic acid, 4-methoxy-(104-01-8)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemBenzeneacetic acid, 4-methoxy- (104-01-8)
4-Methoxyphenylacetic acid Usage And Synthesis
- Description4-METHOXYPHENYLACETIC ACID(104-01-8) is used in organic synthesis as well as pharmaceutical industry, especially used as an intermediate of puerarin. It can also be used as potential plasma biomarkers for early detection of non-small cell lung cancer. It is also used in drug industry as an intermediate to make Dextromethorphan.
- ReferenceChen, Yan Ping, Y. M. Chen, and M. Tang. "Solubilities of cinnamic acid, phenoxyacetic acid and 4-methoxyphenylacetic acid in supercritical carbon dioxide." Fluid Phase Equilibria 275.1(2008):33-38.
- Chemical Propertieswhite to light yellow crystalline powder and
- UsesPreparation of pharmaceuticals, other organic compounds.
- DefinitionChEBI: A monocarboxylic acid that is phenylacetic acid carrying a 4-methoxy substituent. It is used as an intermediate for pharmaceuticals and other organic synthesis. It has been found to inhibit the germination of cress and lettuce seeds.
- General DescriptionPale yellow or off white colored flakes. Severely irritates skin and eyes. May be toxic by ingestion.
- Reactivity ProfileCarboxylic acids donate hydrogen ions if a base is present to accept them. They react in this way with all bases, both organic (for example, the amines) and inorganic. Their reactions with bases, called "neutralizations", are accompanied by the evolution of substantial amounts of heat. Neutralization between an acid and a base produces water plus a salt. Carboxylic acids with six or fewer carbon atoms are freely or moderately soluble in water; those with more than six carbons are slightly soluble in water. Soluble carboxylic acid dissociate to an extent in water to yield hydrogen ions. The pH of solutions of carboxylic acids is therefore less than 7.0. Many insoluble carboxylic acids react rapidly with aqueous solutions containing a chemical base and dissolve as the neutralization generates a soluble salt. Carboxylic acids in aqueous solution and liquid or molten carboxylic acids can react with active metals to form gaseous hydrogen and a metal salt. Such reactions occur in principle for solid carboxylic acids as well, but are slow if the solid acid remains dry. Even "insoluble" carboxylic acids may absorb enough water from the air and dissolve sufficiently in 4-Methoxyphenylacetic acid to corrode or dissolve iron, steel, and aluminum parts and containers. Carboxylic acids, like other acids, react with cyanide salts to generate gaseous hydrogen cyanide. The reaction is slower for dry, solid carboxylic acids. Insoluble carboxylic acids react with solutions of cyanides to cause the release of gaseous hydrogen cyanide. Flammable and/or toxic gases and heat are generated by the reaction of carboxylic acids with diazo compounds, dithiocarbamates, isocyanates, mercaptans, nitrides, and sulfides. Carboxylic acids, especially in aqueous solution, also react with sulfites, nitrites, thiosulfates (to give H2S and SO3), dithionites (SO2), to generate flammable and/or toxic gases and heat. Their reaction with carbonates and bicarbonates generates a harmless gas (carbon dioxide) but still heat. Like other organic compounds, carboxylic acids can be oxidized by strong oxidizing agents and reduced by strong reducing agents. These reactions generate heat. A wide variety of products is possible. Like other acids, carboxylic acids may initiate polymerization reactions; like other acids, they often catalyze (increase the rate of) chemical reactions.
- Health HazardTOXIC; inhalation, ingestion or skin contact with material may cause severe injury or death. Contact with molten substance may cause severe burns to skin and eyes. Avoid any skin contact. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed. Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may be corrosive and/or toxic and cause pollution.
- Fire HazardNon-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes. Some are oxidizers and may ignite combustibles (wood, paper, oil, clothing, etc.). Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion and intraperitoneal routes. Questionable carcinogen with experimental neoplastigenic data. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise the acid from EtOH/water, EtOAc/pet ether (m 87o) or *C6H6/pet ether (m 84-86o). [Beilstein 10 III 431, 10 IV 544.] The acid chloride [4693-91-8] has M 184.6, b 143o/10mm, d 254
4-Methoxyphenylacetic acid Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Hyaluronic acid Phenethyl phenylacetate (R)-(-)-ɑ-Methoxyphenylacetic acid, 99%,(R)-(-)-ALPHA-METHOXYPHENYLACETIC ACID 99%,(r)-(-)-à-methoxyphenylacetic acid,(R)-(-)-ALPHA-METHOXYPHENYLACETIC ACID,(R)-ALPHA-METHOXYPHENYLACETIC ACID,(R)-(-)-A-METHOXYPHENYLACETIC ACID,(R)-(-)-METHOXYPHENYLACETIC ACID (3,4-Dimethoxyphenyl)acetic acid Citric acid Folic acid Stearic acid 2,2-Diphenylacetic acid Ethyl 2-(Chlorosulfonyl)acetate 4-Methoxyphenethylamine 2-Hydroxyphenylacetic acid 2-Methylphenylacetic acid 3,5-dimethoxyphenylacetic acid 4-Methoxyphenylacetic acid Phenylacetic acid 4-Hydroxyphenylacetic acid 4'-Methoxyacetophenone M-METHOXYPHENYLACETIC ACID,3-Methoxyphenylacetic acid 98%,3-Methoxyphenylacetic acid, 99.50%,3-METHOXYPHENYLACETIC ACID, 99+%
- Company Name:MINKESH (SHANGHAI) CO., LTD. Gold
- Tel:13167252998 21-20980300-
- Company Name:Shanghai Boyle Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Tel:Mr Qiu:021-50182298(Demestic market) Miss Xu：021-50180596（Abroad market）
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar