THEBAINE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:183-186°C (dec.)
- alpha D15 -219° (p = 2 in alc); D23 -230° (p = 5 in chloroform)
- Boiling point:451.42°C (rough estimate)
- Density 1.3050
- refractive index 1.5000 (estimate)
- storage temp. Controlled Substance, -20°C Freezer
- solubility H2O: 2.2 mg/mL, slightly soluble
- pka6.05(at 15℃)
- form powder
- Water Solubility <10mg/L(room temperature)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMorphinan, 6,7,8,14-tetradehydro-4,5-epoxy-3,6-dimethoxy-17-methyl-,(5.alpha.)- (115-37-7)
THEBAINE Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionThe naturally occurring opiate alkaloid thebaine is present in high concentrations in poppy straw; lower concentrations of the co deine alkaloid are present.
- Chemical PropertiesTan Solid
- UsesControllled substance (opiate).
- UsesThebaine is present in opium at 0.3–1.5%.It is extracted from opium or from latex ofthe plant Papaver bracteatum, in which it ispresent at up to 26%. It is used to producecodeine.
- UsesThebaine is used in the manufacture of other opiate pharmaceuticals, such as bupren and morphine, and caused contact dermatitis in a laboratory worker at an opiate-manufacturing pharmaceutical company, who was also sensitive to co deine.
- HazardToxic by ingestion, may induce addiction.
- Health HazardAlthough thebaine has a morphine- orcodeine-like structure, its pharmacologyaction is somewhat different. It is a convulsantpoison like strychnine, rather thana narcotic. High doses can cause ataxia andconvulsion
LD50 value, intraperitoneal (mice): 42 mg/kg
Thebaine is a habit-forming compound. Itis a controlled substance (opiate) listed underU.S. Code of Federal Regulations (Title 21Part 1308.12, 1985).
- Contact allergensThe naturally occurring opiate alkaloid thebaine is present in concentrated poppy straw, and in small concentrations in codeine alkaloid. It is used in the manufacture of other opiate pharmaceuticals, such as buprenorphine and morphine, and caused contact dermatitis in a laboratory worker at an opiates manufacturing pharmaceutical company, also sensitive to codeine.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise Thebaine from Et2O or EtOH. Sublime it at 170-180o. The hydrochloride decomposes >182o (from MeOH/Et2O). [Beilstein 27 II 177, 27 III/IV 2271.] It is a NARCOTIC.
- 3-METHOXYPHENETHYL ALCOHOL AURORA KA-7111 2-(1,1-DIMETHYLPROPYL)PHENOL 4-Piperidineethanol PENT-4-ENYLAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE 2-(2-HYDROXYETHOXY)PHENOL 1,5-HEXADIEN-3-OL 3-PHENYLBUTYLAMINE 3-ISOPROPYLCATECHOL 1-ALLYLOXY-2-METHOXY-BENZENE 3-(3-METHYL-BUT-3-ENYL)-PHENOL 4-(3-METHOXYPHENYL)PIPERIDINE SOMNIFERINE [2-(4-methoxyphenyl)ethyl](propyl)amine 1-(4-METHOXY-PHENYL)-2-BUTANAMINE 1,2,3,4-Tetrahydro-N-methyl-2-naphthalenamine 3-methoxyamphetamine 3-ETHOXYPHENETHYLAMINE