2-Methylfuran Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-88.7 °C
- Boiling point:63-66 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.91 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 2.8 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 139 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index n
- FEMA 4179 | 2-METHYLFURAN
- Flash point:−8 °F
- storage temp. Flammables area
- solubility 3000mg/l
- form Liquid
- color Clear yellow
- Water Solubility 0.3 g/100 mL (20 ºC)
- FreezingPoint -88.68℃
- JECFA Number1487
- BRN 103733
- CAS DataBase Reference534-22-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceFuran, 2-methyl-(534-22-5)
- EPA Substance Registry System2-Methylfuran (534-22-5)
2-Methylfuran Usage And Synthesis
- Description2-methylfuran is a flammable, water soluble liquid with the potential to be used as an alternative biofuel. It has become very attractive and promising due to the recent breakthrough in its production method through dehydration and hydrogenolysis of fructose or cellulose. This indicates the prospect of industrial mass production of 2-methylfuran and its derivative 2, 5-dimethylfuran. The 2-methylfuran and 2, 5-dimethylfuran have now been considered as a potential choice of alternative fuel pathway for spark ignition (SI) engines because of their similarities to gasoline. Therefore, as an alternative bio-fuels, it presents a potential way to provide sustainable-renewable sources and tackle the severe issue of fossil fuel depletion and global warming.
- ReferencesWang, Chongming, et al. "Combustion characteristics and emissions of 2-methylfuran compared to 2, 5-dimethylfuran, gasoline and ethanol in a DISI engine." Fuel 103 (2013): 200-211.
Ma, Xiao, et al. "Laminar burning characteristics of 2-methylfuran and isooctane blend fuels." Fuel 116 (2014): 281-291.
- Chemical PropertiesColorless liquid; spicy, smoky aroma
- Chemical Properties2-Methylfuran is a cyclic diene possessing ether-like properties. It is highly reactive with many inorganic and organic compounds yielding a variety of new derivatives which await exploration for the development of commercial applications.
- OccurrenceReported found in cooked beef, bread, butter, chicken, cocoa, coffee, currant, mint, tea and tomato.
- Uses2-Methylfuran is a volatile organic compound (VOCs) used as a potential non-intrusive tool for screening of lung cancer.
- Aroma threshold valuesMedium strength odor, chocolate type; recommend smelling in a 1.00% solution or less
- General DescriptionA clear colorless liquid with an ethereal odor. Flash point -22°F. Less dense than water and insoluble in water. Hence floats on water. Vapors heavier than air.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity Profile2-Methylfuran is incompatible with strong acids and strong bases. May react vigorously with oxidizing materials .
- HazardHighly flammable, dangerous fire andexplosion risk. Irritant.
- Health HazardInhalation or contact with material may irritate or burn skin and eyes. Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution.
- Safety ProfilePoison by ingestion. Moderately toxic by inhalation. An eye irritant. Mutation data reported. Very dangerous fire hazard when exposed to heat or flame; can react vigorously with oxidizing materials. To fight fire, use CO2, dry chemical. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
- Purification MethodsWash it with acidified saturated ferrous sulfate solution (to remove peroxides), separate, dry with CaSO4 or CaCl2, and fractionally distil it from KOH immediately before use. To reduce the possibility of spontaneous polymerisation, addition of about one-third of its volume of heavy mineral oil to 2-methylfuran prior to distillation has been recommended. [Beilstein 17 H 36, 17 I 18, 17 II 39, 17 III/IV 265.]
2-Methylfuran Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation Products4,5,6,7-TETRAHYDRO-2-METHYLFURO[2,3-C]PYRIDINE2-Allyl-4-hydroxy-3-methyl-2-cyclopenten-1-one3-Acetyl-1-propanolAllethrin5-METHYLFURAN-2-BORONIC ACIDN,N-DIMETHYL-5-METHYLFURFURYLAMINE5-Methyl-2-acetylfuran2-Methyltetrahydrofuran2-chloro-3-oxopentyl acetate 2-ETHYL-3-HYDROXY-6-METHYLPYRIDINEMethyl cyclopentenolone5-Methyl furfural4-OXOPENTYL ACETATE2-Methyl-3-furanthiol
- Raw materialsHydrogenSodium dichromate dihydrateFurfuralFurfuryl alcoholDOYLE DIRHODIUM CATALYST-RH2(4S-MEOX)4SODIUM DICHROMATECupric nitrate trihydrateCupric nitrateCopper dinitrateCopper aluminium alloy
- Furfural Furan 5-Methyl furfural 5-Nitro-2-furoic acid Furan-2-carbohydrazide 2-Furoic acid 5-Methyl-2-acetylfuran (2-METHYL-PYRIDIN-3-YL)-METHANOL 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural 2-Furonitrile 5-Bromofuroic acid Furil 2-Furaldehyde diethyl acetal 2-Acetylfuran Tetrahydrofuran FURFURYL ALCOHOL RESIN 2-Methylfuran Nitrofurantoin
- Company Name:Shandong yinuo biomass material co. LTD Gold
- Tel:13939358770 0635-7886156-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar