- Melting point:42-45?C
- Boiling point:109.7°C
- Density 1.25 (14% aq.)
- refractive index n
- storage temp. Refrigerator
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference26172-55-4(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference5-Chloro-2-methyl-3(2h)-isothiazolone(26172-55-4)
- EPA Substance Registry System5-Chloro-2-methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one (26172-55-4)
Isothiazolinone is a heterocyclic chemical compound related to isothiazole. Isothiazolinone is an antimicrobial preservative that is often used to control fungi, bacteria, and algae. Since water-containing solutions are the breeding grounds for bacteria, isothiazolinone can easily be used in such solutions.
Although isothiazolinones have no direct applications, their derivatives such as 5-chloro-2-methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-on and 2-methyl-4-isothiazolin-3 which are used together as preservatives in commercial households and cosmetics products, for instance, cleaners, shampoos, and washing materials. Notably, various products that use isothiazolinones are in the market, including shampoo, hand sanitizer, and lotions. Isothiazolinones is used in these products as an inhibitor of microbial activity that could lead to the product spoiling before the expected expiration date.
- Safety Information
The recommended use of isothiazolinone products by the manufacturers used as wrinkle releaser is not harmful. However, allergy to skin is one of the most reported issue with isothiazolinone.
- DescriptionMethy1chloro-isothiazolinone (MCI) is contained, along with methylisothiazolinone (MI), in Kathon cosmetic grade (CG) and MCI/MI. It is irritant and sensitizer.
- Chemical PropertiesLiquid
- UsesIsocil(R) MW-14 is a high performance biocide for preserving metal working fluids, hydraulic fluids, polymer emulsions, pigment dispersions. Suggested applications: preservative concentrate. Very low level.
- UsesIsocil(R) PC is a cost-effective antimicrobial for personal care formulations. Suggested applications: personal care preservative.
- UsesIsocil(R) RW is a high performance industrial microbiocide for use in recirculating water cooling towers, wood, mold and mildew control, pulp and paper mills, air washer systems. Suggested applications: Industrial water treatment. Very low use levels.
- UsesA isothiazolidin-3-one derivative as antimicrobial. It was tested for inhibition of PCAF activity. 5-Chloroisothiazolinones showed the most potent inhibition of PCAF.
- DefinitionChEBI: A 1,2-thiazole that is 4-isothiazolin-3-one bearing a methyl group on the nitrogen atom and a chlorine at C-5. It is a powerful biocide and preservative and is the major active ingredient in the commercial product KathonTM.
- 2-tert-Butyl-5-chloroisothiazol-3(2H)-one 5-Chloro-2-n-octyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one Isothiazolinones Paraquat dichloride 5-Chloro-2-methyl-3(2H)-isothiazolone with 2-methyl-3(2H)-isothiazolone Methylparaben Kresoxim-methyl Acetonitrile Methylisothiazolinone Basic Violet 1 Methyl acetate Methyl acrylate Methyl Methanol Difluorochloromethane 5-Methyl-2-phenyl-1,2-dihydropyrazol-3-one 1,2-Benzisothiazol-3(2H)-one Kathon
- Company Name:Guangdong wengjiang Chemical Reagent Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13927878237 0751-2828607-
- Company Name:Weifang Kaihong Chemical Limited Gold
- Tel:13953637678 536-8865335
- Company Name:Tianjin Zhongxin Chemtech Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:INTATRADE GmbH
- Tel:+49 3493/605464