- Melting point:-5,5°C
- Boiling point:235-240 °C18 mm Hg(lit.)
- Density 0.91 g/mL(lit.)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:330 °C
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility chloroform: 0.1 g/mL, clear, colorless
- form Liquid
- color Clear Pale Yellow
- Merck 14,9732
- BRN 1718692
- Stability:Stability Stable, but air and light sensitive. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference122-32-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry System9-Octadecenoic acid (9Z)-, 1,1',1''-(1,2,3-propanetriyl) ester (122-32-7)
- Biochemical Application
Glyceryl trioleate is derived from glycerol. It is composed of three oleic acid units and is an unsaturated triglyceride. Glyceryl trioleate has been used as an experimental diet along with fat-free basal mix and corn oil and then to access the dietary fat absorption among mice, as an interfering substance to test its effect on human serum in the approach to develop rapid enzyme immunoassay for the detection of retinol-binding protein, and as a standard in the determination of triglyceride concentration, colorimetrically using liver tissue sample from cows, and so on.
- Industrial Uses
Triolein can be used as a textile finishing agent in textile industry, also used as additive in pigment grind. In pharm industry, it is used as an ointment, emulsifiable paste, suppository, lotion, emulsifier in air agent, stabilizing agent, lubricating agent, antifoaming agents. In food industry, it has the function as emulsify, disperse, defoaming, blister, antistaling of starch and control fat agglutination, usually used as an agent in candy, ice cream, cookie and bread. When triolein is used in beverage, could avoid ester to float, and avoid protein to sink, therefore to improve stability. When used in bread, cookie, could improve organization structure, increase volume, antistaling, prolongs warranty validity.
- Applications in cosmeticsTriolen is widely used as the ingredients in cosmetics. Triolein has oleic acid in its structure, which is very beneficial for the skin. It is a skin-conditioning agent because it moisturizes the skin and forms a film over the skin. It can be used as a viscosity controlling agent, helps provide the desirable viscosity for a product, so it is used in body care, skin care and hair care products, toiletries, makeup products, and decorative cosmetics.The Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) Expert Panel found that dermal application of triolein was not associated with significant irritation, and no evidence of sensitization or photosensitization was observed. Ocular exposures were found to be only mildly irritating to eyes. Triolein has not been found to be genotoxic in a number of in vitro and in vitro assay systems.
- Chemical Propertiescolourless viscous liquid
- Chemical PropertiesTriolein occurs as a clear, colorless to yellowish oily liquid, and is tasteless and odorless.
- DefinitionChEBI: A triglyceride formed by esterification of the three hydroxy groups of glycerol with oleic acid. Triolein is one of the two components of Lorenzo's oil.
- Production MethodsTriolein is manufactured by the esterification of fractionated fatty acids, mainly oleic acid and glycerin.
- Pharmaceutical ApplicationsTriolein is used as a solubilizer and solvent in injectable preparations.
It has been used in marketed preparations of sustained-release
injections of cytarabine and multivesicular liposomal injections of
morphine sulfate. It has also been used in enteric coatings for oral
preparations in combination with other enteric coating excipients to
protect against degradation by pancreatic lipase.
Triolen is used in personal care products as a skin-conditioning and viscosity-controlling agent.
- SafetyTriolein is used in injectable preparations, in enteric coatings for
oral preparations, and in personal care products. Chronic exposure
may cause nausea and vomiting, and higher exposures may cause
The Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) Expert Panel found that dermal application of triolein was not associated with significant irritation, and no evidence of sensitization or photosensitization was observed. Ocular exposures were found to be only mildly irritating to eyes. Triolein has not been found to be genotoxic in a number of in vitro and in vitro assay systems. Subcutaneous injections of triolein in rats showed no tumors at the injection site. The CIR Expert Panel also noted that metabolism data indicated that glyceryl triesters (including triolein) followed the same metabolic pathways as fats in food. They were split into monoglycerides, free fatty acids, and glycerol, all of which were absorbed into the intestinal mucosa and metabolized further. Therefore, oral exposure to these compounds was not found to be a concern.
A triolein-based amphotericin emulsion showed better safety with a higher LD50 in rats as compared with the conventional amphotericin deoxycholate.
- storageTriolein is classified as a stable compound but is sensitive to air and light. It should be stored in tightly sealed containers in a dry area at 2–8℃. Thermal decomposition of triolein may lead to release of irritating gases and vapors such as carbon oxides. Exposure to air and moisture over prolonged periods should be avoided.
- IncompatibilitiesTriolein is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents and spontaneously flammable products. Being a triglyceride ester, triolein can be hydrolyzed by strong acids, and particularly by strong bases. It is possible for primary amines to form an adduct across the olefinic double bonds (analogous to a Michael addition).
- Regulatory StatusIncluded in the FDA Inactive Ingredients Database (liposomal
suspension for epidural injections). Included in parenteral medicines
(suspension for intrathecal injection) licensed in the UK.
Triolein is included in the CIR category as safe for use in cosmetics and personal care products. Its use as an indirect food additive has been approved by the FDA.
- Raw materialscis-9-Octadecenoic acid
- Triolein (-1-13C) Triolein (-14,14,15,15,17,18-D6) GLYCERYL-13C3 TRIOLEATE (TRIOLEIN) 99 AT PEG-25 GLYCERYL TRIOLEATE PEG-15 GLYCERYL TRIOLEATE TRIOLEIN (CAS#: 122-32-7) 1X2ML 2,3,5-Triphenyltetrazolium chloride TRIOLEIN PEG-6 ESTERS Triolein-1,2,3,7,8,9,10-13C7 Triolein-9,10-13C2 TRIOLEIN-GLYCERYL-13C3 Triolein-carboxyl-13c399atom%13c,triolein-carboxyls-13c3,TRIOLEIN-CARBOXYL-13C3,TRIOLEIN (1,1,1-13C3) TRIOLEIN, [GLYCEROL-1,2,3-3H] D-glucitol hexaoleate SUCROSE PENTAOLEATE TRIOLEIN TRIOLEIN, [9,10-3H(N)] GLYCEROL TRIACETYLRICINOLEATE
- Company Name:Nantong Haitian Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Feb 18，2020