ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Phenols, ethers and epoxides > Epoxide > 2-Acetylfuran
2-Acetylfuran Chemical Properties
- Melting point:26-28 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:67 °C10 mm Hg(lit.)
- Density 1.098 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- FEMA 3163 | 2-FURYL METHYL KETONE
- refractive index n
- Flash point:160 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- form Liquid or Low Melting Solid
- color light yellow to orange, darkens over time
- Specific Gravity1.098
- explosive limit2.1-15.2%(V)
- Water Solubility Insoluble in water.
- JECFA Number1503
- BRN 107909
- CAS DataBase Reference1192-62-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceEthanone, 1-(2-furanyl)-(1192-62-7)
- EPA Substance Registry System2-Acetylfuran (1192-62-7)
2-Acetylfuran Usage And Synthesis
- As a flavor ingredientIdentification
Reported uses (ppm): (FEMA, 1994)▼▲CAS.No.:1192-62-7FL.No.:13.054FEMA.No.:3163NAS.No.:3163CoE.No.:11653EINECS.No.:214-757-1JECFA.No.:1503Natural occurrence▼▲Food CategoryUsualMax.Alcoholic.beverages1.753.75Baked.goods4.579.29Frozen.dairy2.715.57Gelatins,.puddings1.863.86Meat.products48Nonalcoholic.beverages1.433Soft.candy4.639.29
Reported found as a constituent in coffee aroma; also isolated from beech and oak wood tar oils; an aroma component of yellow passion fruit (Passiflora edulis f. flavicarpa); also a volatile flavor component of potato chips. Also reported in tomato paste, roasted beef, grilled pork, beer, rum, red wine and green tea.
- Description2-Acetylfuran is a gold-coloured solid with the odour of sweet balsam almond cocoa caramel coffee. It is incompatible with strong oxidising agents, strong reducing agents, and strong bases. It is combustible. 2-Acetylfuran on decomposition releases carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide. It is insoluble in water but soluble in alcohol, dipropylene glycol, and ethyl ether.
- Chemical Properties2-Acetylfuran is a gold-colored solid with an odor of sweet balsam almond cocoa, caramel coffee. It is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong reducing agents, and strong bases. It is combustible. On decomposition, 2-acetylfuran releases carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide. It is insoluble in water, but soluble in alcohol, dipropylene glycol, and ethyl ether.
- Chemical PropertiesColorless to light yellow liqui
- Chemical Properties2-Acetylfuran has a coffee-like aroma
- OccurrenceReported found as a constituent in coffee aroma; also isolated from beech and oak wood tar oils; an aroma component of yellow passion fruit (Passiflora edulis f. flavicarpa); also a volatile flavor component of potato chips. Also reported in tomato paste, roasted beef, grilled pork, beer, rum, red wine and green tea.
- Uses2-Acetylfuran is a widely used reagent in manufacturing pharmaceuticals and aroma compounds.
- DefinitionChEBI: A furan carrying an acetyl substituent at the 2-position.
- PreparationFrom furan and acetyl chloride by a Friedel–Kraft condensation.
- Aroma threshold valuesDetection: 10 ppm
- Health HazardExposures to 2-acetylfuran by ingestion, inhalation, and skin absorption cause harmful effects. It causes irritation to the skin, the eyes, coughing, respiratory tract irritation, and respiratory distress. Accidental ingestion causes irritation of the digestive tract. There are no data about chronic exposure and adverse effects.
- storage2-Acetylfuran should be kept away from sources of ignition, heat, sparks, flame, and light. It should be kept stored in a tightly sealed container in a dry area/refrigerated (below 4°C/39°F).
- PrecautionsDuring handling and use of 2-acetylfuran, occupational workers should use appropriate and proper personal protective equipment and wear a self-contained breathing apparatus. Workers should avoid generating dusty conditions, minimize generation and accumulation of dust, remove all sources of ignition, and use a spark-proof tool. Workers should use 2-acetylfuran only in a chemical fume hood.
2-Acetylfuran Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Acetylacetone 2-ACETYL-7-METHOXYBENZOFURAN Furil Methyl salicylate Furazolidone 2-Acetylfuran Acetyl-resveratrol Kresoxim-methyl Methyl N-ACETYL-L-TYROSINE ETHYL ESTER Acetyl chloride Tribenuron methyl Tetraacetylethylenediamine ACETYLFURAN N-Acetyl-L-cysteine Methyl bromide Acetyl coenzyme A sodium salt METSULFURON METHYL
- Company Name:Henan Wei Yuan Biotechnology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13598786556 0371-27536887-
- Company Name:Jiangsu Qingquan Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Shandong Vantage Specialty Chemicals Biotechnology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15336364684 1867-8026865-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-