ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Biochemical Engineering > Biochemical Reagents > Biological Dyes > Methyl Orange
Methyl Orange Chemical Properties
- Melting point:300 °C
- Density 0.987 g/mL at 25 °C
- Flash point:37 °C
- storage temp. Store at +5°C to +30°C.
- solubility 5g/l
- form Powder/Solid
- pka3.4(at 25℃)
- Colour Index 13025
- color Yellow-Orange
- Specific Gravity0.987
- PH6.5 (5g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- PH Range3.1(Red)-4.4(Orange)
- Water Solubility Soluble in ethanol. Partially soluble in hot water. Slightly soluble in cold water and pyrimidine. Insoluble in ether and alcohol.
- λmax507nm, 522nm, 464nm
- Merck 14,6105
- BRN 4732884
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- Biological ApplicationsDetecting microorganisms; treating dermatological diseases,vaginal affections; dental materials; wound dressing materials
- Major ApplicationLiquid crystals, thin films, sensors, sol-gel matrix, waveguides, host-guest chemistry, display device, corrosion inhibitor, glass coatings, paints, wound dressing materials, pharmaceuticals, dental materials, measuring nucleic acid
- CAS DataBase Reference547-58-0
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMethyl orange (547-58-0)
Methyl Orange Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionMethyl orange is an orange, azoic dye. It has a transition range from 3.1 to 4.4. Methyl orange does not have a full spectrum of color change, but has a sharper end point. Methyl orange shows red color in acidic medium (pH < 3.1) and yellow color in basic medium (pH > 4.4). It is used as a pH-indicator in 0.1% aqueous solution for the titration of mineral acids (not organic acids) and strong bases. Methyl orange is also used in dyeing and printing textiles as a dyestuff.
- References https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_orange
 Mohammed Bassim Alqaragully (2014) International Journal of Advanced Research in Chemical Science, 1, 48-59
- Chemical PropertiesOrange-yellow powder. Soluble in hotwater; insoluble in alcohol.
- UsesAs indicator in 0.1% aqueous solution. pH: 3.1 red, 4.4 yellow. Employed for titrating most mineral acids, strong bases, estimating alkalinity of waters; useless for organic acids. In dyeing and printing of textiles.
- DefinitionAn acid–base indicator that is red in solutions below a pH of 3 and yellow above a pH of 4.4. As the transition range is clearly on the acid side, methyl orange is suitable for the titration of an acid with a moderately weak base, such as sodium carbonate.
- Definitionmethyl orange: An organic dyeused as an acid–base indicator. Itchanges from red below pH 3.1 toyellow above pH 4.4 (at 25°C) and isused for titrations involving weakbases.
- Preparation4-Aminobenzenesulfonic acid diazo, and N,N-dimethylaniline coupling.
- General DescriptionOrange powder.
- Air & Water ReactionsAzo dyes can be explosive when suspended in air at specific concentrations. Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileMethyl Orange is an azo compound. Azo, diazo, azido compounds can detonate. This applies in particular to organic azides that have been sensitized by the addition of metal salts or strong acids. Toxic gases are formed by mixing materials of this class with acids, aldehydes, amides, carbamates, cyanides, inorganic fluorides, halogenated organics, isocyanates, ketones, metals, nitrides, peroxides, phenols, epoxides, acyl halides, and strong oxidizing or reducing agents. Flammable gases are formed by mixing materials in this group with alkali metals. Explosive combination can occur with strong oxidizing agents, metal salts, peroxides, and sulfides.
- Properties and Applicationsorange. The strong sulfuric acid for green light yellow, diluted into red orange. The dye solution to join strong hydrochloric acid for orange red; Add thick sodium hydroxide solution for green light yellow.
Standard Light Fastness Soaping Persperation Fastness Oxygen bleaching Fastness to seawater Fading Stain Fading Stain Fading Stain ISO AATCC
- Purification MethodsRecrystallise it twice from hot water, then wash it with a little EtOH followed by diethyl ether. It is an indicator: pH 3.1 (red) and pH 4.4 (yellow). [Beilstein 16 IV 510.]
Methyl Orange Preparation Products And Raw materials
- LITMUS Phenolphthalein METHYL ORANGE - ACS (C.I. #13025, 75% CONTENT) XYLENE CYANOL FF - METHYL ORANGE SOLUTION (ETHANOL SOLN.)[MIXED INDICATOR] Methyl red paper Sodium 2-aminosulphanilate METHYL THIOPHENE-2-CARBOXYLATE 8-CHLOROADENOSINE-3',5'-CYCLIC MONOPHOSPHOROTHIOATE, RP-ISOMER SODIUM SALT SODIUM SULFANILATE 4-Dimethylaminobenzoic acid Methyl Sodium alginate Ethyl 2-(Chlorosulfonyl)acetate Methyl hesperidin Hyaluronic acid N,N,N',N'-Tetramethylazodicarboxamide Parathion-methyl Ascoric Acid
- Company Name:Shenyang Xianchuang Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13840269002 024-23769576-
- Company Name:Hubei zhonglong Kangsheng Fine Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:18162590268 027-83850178-
- Company Name:Shenyang Sinoda Biological Technology Co., LTD Gold
- Tel:18002429090 024-31174117-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-