ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Biochemical Engineering > Biochemical Reagents > Biological Dyes > Methyl Orange
Methyl Orange Chemical Properties
- Melting point:300 °C
- Density 0.987 g/mL at 25 °C
- Flash point:37 °C
- storage temp. Store at RT.
- solubility 5g/l
- Colour Index 13025
- form Powder/Solid
- pka3.4(at 25℃)
- color Yellow-Orange
- Specific Gravity0.987
- PH6.5 (5g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- PH Range3.1(Red)-4.4(Orange)
- Water Solubility Soluble in ethanol. Partially soluble in hot water. Slightly soluble in cold water and pyrimidine. Insoluble in ether and alcohol.
- λmax507nm, 522nm, 464nm
- Merck 14,6105
- BRN 4732884
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- Major ApplicationLiquid crystals, thin films, sensors, sol-gel matrix, waveguides, host-guest chemistry, display device, corrosion inhibitor, glass coatings, paints, wound dressing materials, pharmaceuticals, dental materials, measuring nucleic acid
- Biological ApplicationsDetecting microorganisms; treating dermatological diseases,vaginal affections; dental materials; wound dressing materials
- CAS DataBase Reference547-58-0
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMethyl orange (547-58-0)
Methyl Orange Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionMethyl orange is an orange, azoic dye. It has a transition range from 3.1 to 4.4. Methyl orange does not have a full spectrum of color change, but has a sharper end point. Methyl orange shows red color in acidic medium (pH < 3.1) and yellow color in basic medium (pH > 4.4). It is used as a pH-indicator in 0.1% aqueous solution for the titration of mineral acids (not organic acids) and strong bases. Methyl orange is also used in dyeing and printing textiles as a dyestuff.
- References https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_orange
 Mohammed Bassim Alqaragully (2014) International Journal of Advanced Research in Chemical Science, 1, 48-59
- Chemical PropertiesOrange-yellow powder. Soluble in hotwater; insoluble in alcohol.
- UsesAs indicator in 0.1% aqueous solution. pH: 3.1 red, 4.4 yellow. Employed for titrating most mineral acids, strong bases, estimating alkalinity of waters; useless for organic acids. In dyeing and printing of textiles.
- DefinitionAn acid–base indicator that is red in solutions below a pH of 3 and yellow above a pH of 4.4. As the transition range is clearly on the acid side, methyl orange is suitable for the titration of an acid with a moderately weak base, such as sodium carbonate.
- Definitionmethyl orange: An organic dyeused as an acid–base indicator. Itchanges from red below pH 3.1 toyellow above pH 4.4 (at 25°C) and isused for titrations involving weakbases.
- General DescriptionOrange powder.
- Air & Water ReactionsAzo dyes can be explosive when suspended in air at specific concentrations. Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileMethyl Orange is an azo compound. Azo, diazo, azido compounds can detonate. This applies in particular to organic azides that have been sensitized by the addition of metal salts or strong acids. Toxic gases are formed by mixing materials of this class with acids, aldehydes, amides, carbamates, cyanides, inorganic fluorides, halogenated organics, isocyanates, ketones, metals, nitrides, peroxides, phenols, epoxides, acyl halides, and strong oxidizing or reducing agents. Flammable gases are formed by mixing materials in this group with alkali metals. Explosive combination can occur with strong oxidizing agents, metal salts, peroxides, and sulfides.
- Purification MethodsRecrystallise it twice from hot water, then wash it with a little EtOH followed by diethyl ether. It is an indicator: pH 3.1 (red) and pH 4.4 (yellow). [Beilstein 16 IV 510.]
Methyl Orange Preparation Products And Raw materials
- LITMUS Phenolphthalein Sodium alginate Sodium bicarbonate Ethyl 2-(Chlorosulfonyl)acetate Methyl bromide Diclofenac sodium Thiophanate-methyl Methyl hesperidin Hyaluronic acid N,N,N',N'-Tetramethylazodicarboxamide Methyl acrylate Parathion-methyl Ascoric Acid sodium Sodium citrate Bensulfuron methyl ORANGE I
- Company Name:Shenyang Xianchuang Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13840269002 024-23769576-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar