ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Biochemical Engineering > Protein Research > Protease inhibitors > Ferritin
Ferritin Chemical Properties
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- CAS DataBase Reference79468-83-0
Ferritin Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionFerritin is the cellular storage protein for iron. Most of the iron stored in the body is bound to ferritin. Ferritin is found in the liver, spleen, skeletal muscles, and bone marrow. A small amount of ferritin is found in blood. Ferritins are also able to store a significant quantity of iron within a hollow core, and act as storage systems for iron within cells. The primary role of ferritin is to protect cells from the damage caused by the Fenton reaction: free Fe(II) in oxidizing conditions produces harmful reactive oxygen species that can damage the cellular machinery.
The serum ferritin concentration normally correlates well with total-body iron stores, making its measurement important in the diagnosis of disorders of iron metabolism. Ferritin level blood test can be used to test ferritin levels. Low ferritin levels could be caused by iron deficiency, anemia, excessive menstrual bleeding, stomach conditions that affect intestinal absorption, and internal bleeding. High ferritin levels indicate certain conditions including hemochromatosis, rheumatoid arthritis, liver disease, hyperthyroidism, adult Still’s disease, type 2 diabetes, leukemia, Hodgkin’s lymphoma, iron poisoning, and frequent blood transfusions.
- DefinitionAn iron–protein complex in which iron is stored in the intestinal mucosa, spleen, and liver. It regulates iron transport from the intestinal lumen to plasma in circulating blood.
- HazardQuestionable carcinogen; neoplastigen; mutagen.
- References http://www.webmd.com
- Company Name:Nanjing Jie Bai Biotechnology Co. Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Cheng Du Micxy Chemical Co.,Ltd
- Company Name:Guangdong wengjiang Chemical Reagent Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:Shandong Ono Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Tel:0539-6362799（To 20）
- Company Name:Hubei xin bonus chemical co. LTD