- Melting point:300-305°C
- alpha D20 -18° (c = 0.55 in pyridine)
- Boiling point:806.69°C (rough estimate)
- Density 1.48±0.1 g/cm3 (20 ºC 760 Torr)
- refractive index 1.5280 (estimate)
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- Merck 14,9545
- CAS DataBase Reference17406-45-0
- Health Benifits
Tomatine (sometimes called tomatin or lycopersicin) is a glycoalkaloid, found in the stems and leaves of tomato plants, and in the fruits at much lower concentrations. It has fungicidal, antimicrobial, and insecticidal properties. Chemically pure tomatine is a white crystalline solid at standard temperature and pressure. Tomatine, as well as the closely related aglycon (or aglycone) derivative tomatidine have been shown to have multiple health benefits.
Tomatine is a steroid alkaloid that is tomatidine in which the hydroxy group at position 3 is linked to lycotetraose, a tetrasaccharide composed of two units of D-glucose, one unit of D-xylose, and one unit of D-galactose. It has a role as an immunological adjuvant, a phytotoxin and an antifungal agent. It is a steroid alkaloid, a tetrasaccharide derivative, an alkaloid antibiotic and a glycoside. It derives from a tomatidine.
- Tomatine Toxin Symptoms
The possible risks of tomatine for humans have not been formally studied, so no NOAEL can be deduced. The toxicity of tomatine has only been studied on laboratory animals. The symptoms of acute tomatine poisoning in animals are similar to the symptoms of poisoning by solanine, a potato glycoalkaloid. These symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, drowsiness, confusion, weakness, and depression. Generally, tomatine is regarded to cause less toxic effect to mammals than other alkaloids such as solanine. The amount of tomatine absorbed by the human body as well as the possible metabolism is unknown. There is no evidence that consumption of tomatoes causes acute toxic or genotoxic effects.
- DescriptionThis glycosidic alkaloid has been obtained from the dried leaves of Lycopersicum pimpinelli/olium (Syn. Solanum racemigerum) and also occurs in L. esculentum; L. hirsutum; L. peruvianum; L. peruvianum var. chutatum and L. putatum. The alkaloid forms colourless needles from MeOH and has a somewhat indefinite melting point about 270°C. It is laevorotatory with [α]20D - 30° (pyridine) and on hydrolysis with H2S04 yields tomatidine, I mole of galactose, 2 moles of glucose and 1 mole of xylose. The tetrasaccharide unit is known as lycotetraose. Partial hydrolysis with acid yields a series of products depending upon which, and how many, of the sugar residues are split off from the molecule. Those which have been isolated are: tomatidine lycotriose I (galactose-glucose-glucose); tomatidine lycotriose II (galactose-glucose-xylose); tomatidine lycobiose (galactose-glucose) and tomatidine-galactose.
- Chemical PropertiesFaintly beige powder
- UsesPrecipitating agent for steroids.
- DefinitionChEBI: A steroid alkaloid that is tomatidine in which the hydroxy group at position 3 is linked to lycotetraose, a tetrasaccharide composed of two units of D-glucose, one unit of D-xylose, and one unit of D-galac ose.
- Purification MethodsTomatine is recrystallised from MeOH, EtOH, aqueous EtOH or dioxane/NH3. It is almost insoluble in pet ether, Et2O or H2O. [Reichstein Angew Chem 74 887 1962, Beilstein 27 III/IV 1954.]
- ReferencesFontaine et al., Arch. Biochem., 18,467 (1948)
Kuhn, Low., Ber., 81, 552 (1948)
Kuhn, Low, Gauhe., ibid, 83,448 (1950)
Fontaine et al., Arch. Biochem., 27,461 (1950)
Fontaine et al., J. Amer. Chern. Soc., 73, 878 (1951)
Kuhn, Low, Trischmann., Angew. Chern., 68, 212 (1956)
Kuhn et al., Ber., 90, 203 (1957)
- 2-(1-methylethyl)piperidine 2,6,10,14-TETRAMETHYLHEPTADECANE 2,6,8-TRIMETHYL-4-NONANOL 2-(TETRADECYLOXY)ETHANOL 2-AMINOUNDECANE 3-CYCLOHEXYL-PROPYLAMINE DI(PROPYLENE GLYCOL) PROPYL ETHER 5-ALPHA-PREGNANE 3-BUTOXY-PROPIONALDEHYDE DIETHYL ACETAL 1,12-DIMETHOXYDODECANE ETHYLBETA-D-GALACTOPYRANOSIDE 1,12-OCTADECANEDIOL 3-O-HEXADECYL-SN-GLYCEROL 1-BUTOXYETHOXY-2-PROPANOL 12-AMINO-1-DODECANOL 2,6,10,14-TETRAMETHYLOCTADECANE N-isobutyl-sec-butylamine PROPYLENE GLYCOL BUTYL ETHER
- Company Name:Chengdu Greenpure Biopharma CO.,Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Mokai Pharmaceutical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18601606476 021-60951261
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Dec 23，2019